View Full Version : GIMP or Inkscape? Which should I use??

adamwestrop
08-25-2011, 08:32 PM
OK, so im getting to grips with web design, and have learnt HTML and CSS which is pretty simple, I think.

I now know that the key to good looking websites is great images/Flash and I will learn flash later, but have the intention of using existing photos/graphics generated, and amending them slightly to my needs.

So do I need GIMP or Inkscape??

resdog
08-26-2011, 03:08 PM
GIMP is for raster images, Inkscape is for vector illustrations. Think of like this: GIMP is to Photoshop as Inkscape is to Illustrator.

You can use either, but if you are using photos, use GIMP.

johntt
09-18-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi - I have a quick question about GIMP - installed this software and trying to get to grips with it but how do I edit text in an existing image? Is this actually at all possible? Basically I made a basic text image and saved itfor my website, but want to edit a bit of the text now - can this actually be done? Many thanks for any help.

morongo47
09-20-2011, 06:37 PM
If you save a copy of your work as an XCF file, you still keep your original layers. Same in PS, if you save your work as a PSD you can go back and edit your text, font, size and color.

But once you rasterize the image (save it as pixels as in a jpg, png, etc.), all your left with is color information.

So save two copies - your work-layers in the native format of whatever your working with (gimp, ps, etc) and the final jpg, png, gif, or whatever - that way you can go back and change anything you want in the layered file and overwrite the jpeg, png or gif with the new changes.

logoonlinepros
09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
GIMP is best and so many professional designer still use this software and its a alternative solution of photoshop and illustrator.

JLambert
10-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I would suggest you to use GIMP as it is very light software and really have some great tools which photoshop also have.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum