View Full Version : Query: Select * From table Where element In $stringarray

08-16-2011, 04:36 AM
I have been trying to select all the rows from a table that have an element that matches any of the strings in an array variable. As of right now I have the following code:

$tracker = implode(',',$temp);
echo "<h2>$tracker</h2>";
$query2 = "SELECT * FROM songs WHERE author IN (" . $tracker . ")";

$temp is an array of the strings of interest. The 2nd line I have included to confirm that the elements in the array are correct. The elements have single quotes around them, i.e. 'string1','string2','string3'. I have tried doing this a couple different ways but the majority of them display a query error. However, the above code simply times out when calling the page. The array only has 2 elements in it as of now and the table it queries only has 4 rows with 6 elements each. Does anyone have any guidance/suggestions? Thanks.

08-16-2011, 04:43 AM
Looks like you need to do some Basic Debugging 101 (http://www.codingforums.com/showpost.php?p=1082858&postcount=1)

Echo out the actual query being run.

echo $query2; die();

If you can't see any obvious errors, run the output in an sql window like phpMyAdmin or better still SQLyog (http://www.webyog.com/en/) .

If it works ok in the sql window then there is a problem elsewhere in the code you haven't posted.

08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
echo "<h2>$tracker</h2>";
echo $query2;
$result1= mysql_query($query2);
echo "<p>$result1[artist]</p>"; die();

From the above block of code, I copy and pasted the echoed query ($query2) and put it in PHPMysqlAdmin sql window and it returned the desired results. But $result1 does not seem to contain anything when the code is run. ('artist' is one of the fields in the table) When I remove the last line of the above code and replace it with:

$numrows2 = mysql_num_rows($result1);
echo $numrows2; die()

..it returns 0. I don't understand why the same query works in the mysqladmin but returns nothing from the php file. Thanks again for your help.

08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
echo out $query2 and post it here so we can look at exactly what the query is looking at.

08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
echo $query2 produces the following:

SELECT * FROM songs WHERE author IN ('beatMaster1','CamCam4')

Old Pedant
08-16-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't see how you can get from this

echo $query2;

to this

SELECT * FROM songs WHERE author IN ('beatMaster1','CamCam4')

unless $temp (before the implode, in other words) contained an array with the elements

$temp[0] == 'beatMaster1'
$temp[1] == 'CamCam4'

Is that really the case??? Or did it actually have the elements

$temp[0] == beatMaster1
$temp[1] == CamCam4

In other words, I'm asking how the apostrophes got in there.

*WITH* the apostrophes, the query should work. Well, it should work assuming there are any records in songs where the author field matches one of those values.

Anyway, I'm not a PHP person, at all. But surely this line is not even close to correct:

echo "<p>$result1[artist]</p>";

Surely you need to do something like this, instead:

$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result1);
echo "<p>" . $row["artist"] . "</p>";

(And that assumes that indeed there is a field in the songs table named "artist". I would assume there is, but of course the SELECT was based on the field author.)

No? All you PHP experts??