View Full Version : multi- culture web site basic info needed

carol
07-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice

I am just about to start on a new website and have no idea how to create a multi - language site that has been requested.

In the sense of a tinny graphic when clicked on will change the site to the language specified.

eg. from english to french

What i would like to know if anyone know of a program that would help to acheive this result.

Or any website that have information about creating this result.

Thanks in advance
any advice would be appreciated

Carol :)

brothercake
07-19-2003, 05:47 AM
What kind of answer are you looking for:
do you know a server-side language to program it yourself, or do you want to learn same, or are you looking for a pre-built solution?

carol
07-19-2003, 05:54 AM
Hi,

I have skills in Asp or Java script.

I would prefer to program it my self for the experence.

I just really am not sure where to start.

Carol

brothercake
07-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Well essentially I think you need something like this:

1 - keep your content in an external data source, such as text documents, XML or a database

2 - your webpages are generated dynamically from that data

3 - language is one of the dynamic variables

You will probably need session control, to maintain users' language preferences.

So I think the place to start would be to create a sort of framework - session variables and a page template - I don't know anything about ASP personally, so can you indicate how much of my answer makes sense so far, and give some info about your level of ASP knowledge, so that people know how to pitch the answers?

{and this should be moved to ASP prog, probably }

carol
07-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply brothercake

And yes i did understand what you were talking about.

But there is still alot of issues i am not sure about

like do you store the converted files of the different languages in the database and then access them by querying on the variable value.

And if you can't write the other languages is there a way available on the web to change the language on a file before you store it.

As you can see i understand where you are going with the database and i understand how to use session contents but am still slightly confused on the how with the language issue.

I have about a years worth of skill in Asp
I have created one web site in this time
So i suppose i would be called an advanced trainee.
I have the skill with MySql and Access so the database use isn't a problem.

Thanks for your help
Carol

MotherNatrsSon
07-19-2003, 08:22 AM
You might want o check this out.

http://www.altavista.com/help/free/free_searchbox_transl

MNS

carol
07-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that

The link was perfect and will save alot of time

Thanks for all your help

whammy
07-19-2003, 10:15 PM
WorldLingo.com also has an online translator that may help you - however, I usually convert the results BACK to English to see if they still make sense, and change stuff accordingly.

It also helps to have someone who knows the language go through your pages if you can find someone to do it.

brothercake
07-19-2003, 11:11 PM
You want auto translation? Oh I assumed you had your content already in multiple languages and wanted to build a framework for serving it.

carol
07-20-2003, 03:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your help

At least now i know the option i have in regard of this project
And know where to start.

brothercake sorry if i confused you. But as you can appreciate i had apsolutely no idea how to start this project. So thanks for all your help.

whammy
07-20-2003, 03:57 AM
Cool... brothercake is the bomb, btw.

What I would do personally (I haven't had to do a multilingual site yet, though), is first of all get all of your content stored in a database. worldlingo.com and other online translators should at least give you something that users in other languages will vaguely understand ;)

Then, like brothercake said, just have the language as a variable (don't know of any other way to do it, anyway).

You should be able to adjust all the aspects of your site using that variable in ASP - but there are many concerns when doing international sites, you might want to google it, but here are a few things I found:

http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html
http://www.unicode.org/charts/
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/text.htm

Hope this helps...

carol
07-20-2003, 04:21 AM
Wow

I never thought of any of those aspect
And probably would have blown it big time
But makes sense of course all charactors aren't available in all languages.

Those sites are great
I have had a quick look at all of them
But will have to have a definate go back for a more details look.

Looks like this is going to be a fun project
But you never learn anything by not trying
It should be a good experience

Thanks for all your help

Carol

:)

whammy
07-20-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by carol
Looks like this is going to be a fun project
But you never learn anything by not trying
It should be a good experience
You've got that right... and I wish more people had your attitude when it comes to learning things!!!

I learn more by just experimenting (when I have time, that is) than asking questions. Often I learn things which many other people may not have discovered yet. ;)

brothercake
07-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by whammy
Cool... brothercake is the bomb, btw.

tee hee .. somebody set us up the bomb :)

I just meant ... I know it's a huge expense, but if you can get your content translated by people ... that would be much better for the end users who speak those languages; depends how big your multi-national userbase is, but if this a project where you expect a serious international ROI, then I'd say the cost of real translation is justified.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum