View Full Version : Alternative to iframes without java?

NatalieHijazi
07-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone!

I used to use iframes to load external content without resetting the parent page. After reading the disadvantage of iframes, I've been looking for alternatives.

I Googled and found different solutions, however with a problem: what I found are all scripts that require Java, meaning my design would be rendered useless in a java-disabled browser.

So is there a safe method I can use, one allowing me to have navigation tabs on a single page that loads content into a div/or any kind of alternative to an iframe (without resetting the page) ?

Thanks in advance.
Nat

DanInMa
07-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I believe you are referring to JavaScript, not Java.

Short answer, no. not without a page refresh

thesam101
07-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi NatalieHijazi

Not really i'm afraid :(

for dynamic content, javascript/ajax and frames are really your only choices.

As an alternative for iframes that are used simply to include one page in lots of different pages (like a menu for example), so only one page has to be updated, can be replaced by SSI (Server-side includes) however these are static after page load, unless of course, altered through some form of javascript.

May I ask, why you are avoiding re-loading the entire page? :)

NatalieHijazi
07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
May I ask, why you are avoiding re-loading the entire page? :)

Oh yes you may :)

I have a sliding design for my basic website. Just trying to make it a little interesting than the usual static pages. So while the overall concept worked fine I realized there were a few impractical issues that would break the consistency of sliding pages.

For example, A contact/message form: after filling it in, the page would need to refresh for the confirmation message to load, next the visitor will have to return to the previous page. It's the back-and-forth and breaking of consistency that I would like to avoid.

I think I am going to settle for an iframe, as it's not really a very important element for the site's overall functionality. If you're curious to have a look at my mess of an attempt to build my own site, you can see it here (http://nataliehijazi.com/jewelry/). Still in it's VERY sketchy phase! So there's not much to see.

NatalieHijazi
07-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I believe you are referring to JavaScript, not Java.

And I believe you are right! Though I've read up on the difference between Java and JavaScript, I still make the same mistake over and over. :rolleyes:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum