View Full Version : Making multiple drop down boxes appear

Camona2333
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first post and I'm pretty new to advanced HTML/CSS, so please bear with me.

As part of a web page I'm helping develop, there is going to be a page that generates a table comparing certain properties of a given family of organisms. Before I can create the table, I want to let the user decide if they want to sort the resulting table by any of the properties.

I want to make it so there will initially be one drop down box that has all the properties listed, but I want more to appear if the user actually selects a property so there can be secondary, tertiary, etc. sorting capabilities, like there are in Excel spreadsheets. The number of properties is dynamic, so I want as many sort boxes as needed to appear, and if there is a way to not include previously selected properties in subsequent boxes, that would be excellent!

So how would I go about writing the code to do something like this? If it needs Javascript or something like that, I am open to that as well, but I'm inexperienced in Javascript as well.

alykins
07-07-2011, 08:41 PM
you will need a few more languages; javascript is the least of your worries. you need to decide if you are going to go .asp or .php- before the question; i would say .asp, but i'm an asp guy. basically what you will do is pull in data from a DB and populate fields. this will go real in depth real quick. I may have a "one track" mind; but this is how i would begin to handle it... i would ask a mod to move this to general web building though- it is beyond the scope of simple html/CSS... best of luck :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum