View Full Version : Uploading a file and displaying progress bar

Baggio
07-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi,

I have searched the web for many tools to upload a file and shows it progress, but they all seem to use, flash, codebehindfiles, php etc. I was looking for one that used pure Javascript was wondering if anyone could help?

Thanks

Marcel.

Philip M
07-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Pure Javascript has no ability to communicate with the server, so cannot do this. You need to use Flash.

All advice is supplied packaged by intellectual weight, and not by volume. Contents may settle slightly in transit.

rnd me
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
watch the recent google video html5: the how and the wow for a complete walk-though of handling files in javascript.

don't listen to dreadfully misleading BS like "Pure Javascript has no ability to communicate with the server"; i'm sure there's some point he can twist to be semantically "right" in some way, but who cares? the fact remains that there are half a dozen ways browsers and servers can talk.

you could say the pure js cannot talk to the user, which is just as arguable since to technically display anything you need non-js dom functions like alert or document.write, but it's as meaningless a distinction to make becuase last time i checked, browsers come with window.alert()...

Philip M: do you need links to a tutorial to introduce you to ajax, jsonp, cookies, FileReader, img pings, or other common ways that Javascript communicates with the server using?

low tech
07-06-2011, 11:43 PM
#rnd me

watch the recent google video html5: the how and the wow for a complete walk-though of handling files in javascript.

Can you post a link if possible please---- I've searched using those words and loads of stuff comes up but I can't locate the video:(

LT

rnd me
07-07-2011, 05:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlwY6_W4VG8

my favorite part is the jurrassic-park-like 3d file browser using files they drug into the html5 console..

it's a great demo of using simple combinations of sparse amounts webgl, drag and drop, filereader and localstorage to create an amazing user interaction. "it's a unix system!"...

low tech
07-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Hi rnd

I was unable to locate it yesterday regardless of seaching.

Thanks for the link

LT

rnd me
07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi rnd

I was unable to locate it yesterday regardless of seaching.

Thanks for the link

LT

np. i do what i can to spread the love.

i only invested years in learning JavaScript only upon learning that it can load a file; i take it personally when people spread rumors denigrating its capabilities.

low tech
07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
HI rnd me

Well i'm only in the early years of learning JS (PHP wa wa wa )

Anyway -- I have several sources of reference at my disposal to learn from --- the JS bible for one ---- but after watching that video I already feel I'm way way way out of date with my materials hahahaa

Good video, enjoyed it ---- it's like a sneaky peak into the future :) Scary.

LT

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum