View Full Version : writing javascript functions and event handler??

university
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Q1. write a function called countAS that will take a string as input (using a prompt dialog box,prompt the user or the string).the string must contain only a's,b's and c's e.g. "abccbbaa" or "aaabbbccc" if any other letters are present apart from the letters a b c, output an alert dialog box with an error message and prompt the user again to input a valid string.count the number of a's the numbers of b's and the numbers of c's entered and display the count for each as well as a total count of all the characters within the string .

for example if the string was abbcc output should be as follows:
the total count is 5 characters
The Number of a's is 1
The Number of b's is 2
The Number of c's is 2

Q2. write a code that uses an event handler to display an alert dialog box with the message 'hello to you all' when a user clicks a link in a html page which links to the school of computing website.

bullant
07-05-2011, 02:50 PM
There's a few ways you can do this.

You could use a regular expression to first check if the string is valid. If it is, then loop through the string and count how many a b and c's you have. If it isn't the prompt the user for another string.

Another option is to not use a regular expression, but loop through the string using charAt(). At each character use a switch() block to count the a b and c letters and if the char is not a valid character reset the a b c counters to 0 and prompt the user for another string.

Post the code you have so far and we can try to help you get it working.

Philip M
07-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Blatant homework!

See http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=221359 Post #5

bullant
07-05-2011, 11:22 PM
yep, probably is homework.

But if the op doesn't get any help here, they most probably will on another website.

I don't have any issues helping people with queries (whether it is homework or not) if I see they are making a genuine effort to do it themselves first :)

university
07-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Blatant homework!

See http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=221359 Post #5

its not homework im trying out a bunch of qusetions and because im new at this sort of stuff i am finding it hard to understand and yes i have read all the rules and stuff but if this website is not for helping others than why even have it.i was just looking for some help and so i thought this was the right place to ask any questions or problems that i am having.

Philip M
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
The answer is the same as before. If you show us the code you yourself have written we will be happy to correct or improve it, but you must make a genuine effort yourself.

university
08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
The answer is the same as before. If you show us the code you yourself have written we will be happy to correct or improve it, but you must make a genuine effort yourself.

so is this right for the second question?

<a href='schoolofcomputing.com' onclick='alert("Hello to you all")'>Link</a>

Philip M
08-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Try it - don't ask us!

<a href='http://schoolofcomputing.com' onclick='alert("Hello to you all")'>Link</a>

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum