View Full Version : new to using MySQL

jeofjingjeff
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm new to using MySQL and I'm having some issues creating a simple database for uploading a basic app. Can anybody help me with the format to use in the MySQL Command?

My other question is..What is the best (most efficient) way to push the date/time into MySQL so that it saves properly, and to pull is back out of MySQL and render it on the screen in the reverse format? Thanks!

TrevorWeaver
06-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm new to using MySQL and I'm having some issues creating a simple database for uploading a basic app. Can anybody help me with the format to use in the MySQL Command?

My other question is..What is the best (most efficient) way to push the date/time into MySQL so that it saves properly, and to pull is back out of MySQL and render it on the screen in the reverse format? Thanks!

Possibly I can help you if I know what you want to do precisely.

And I am sure there are many of the more expert guys on this site willing to assist. I have found people on this site to extremely helpful.

Regards Trevor

Old Pedant
06-29-2011, 09:22 PM
What do you mean by "MySQL Command"??

You mean the MySQL command-line environment? Where you just get a mysql> prompt and then type in commands?

Or do you mean some other environment?

Old Pedant
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
As for dates and times: No easy answer. The only way MySQL undestands a *literal* date and time is in the form 'yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss'. So '2011/6/27 15:22:00' would be valid.

When retrieving dates, you *can* ask MySQL to convert the internal form to a string for you, but more often than not you are better off doing that in the host language (e.g., PHP or ASP or JSP) instead.

On note: If you want to insert the date and time of *right now* into the table, then just use MySQL's built-in functions.

Examples:

INSERT INTO sometable( aDateTime, aDateOnly, aTimeOnly ) VALUES( NOW(), CURDATE(), TIME(NOW()) )

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum