View Full Version : Microsoft IIS

pagekeeper
07-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Just a question about IIS is used to host your own website on your own computer what extensions apart from asp does it support? Do you use it ? Is it worth using it, or is there a better program i can use that does the same thing? im desperate to host if i can because of my fast asdl connection. No point putting it to waste and spending more money on hosting. Im using xp home edition as i understand IIS only comes with Xp pro so i'll have to reaload if it worth it so please help me out people.

whackaxe
07-09-2003, 06:07 PM
wrong forum methinks, this needs to be moved to server side issues.

if i were you, id use apache. its the other big webserver out there (60% or so of web servers run apache i think). apache is more a unix program even though it is available for windows. as a test server i use www.aprelium.com. its fast small and easy to use

raf
07-09-2003, 07:38 PM
used IIS and Apache, and i'd recommend Apache, unless you want to host ASP-pages.
You can also run PHP and probably a whole lot of other stuff with IIS (but you need to add the ISAPI-filters first).

And you do need a windows pro version to get IIS. (For serious hosting, you cant' rely on the free PWS that Microsoft supplies)

whackaxe
07-09-2003, 09:59 PM
that would be just stupid when you have activly developed srvers like apache and abyss.

raf
07-09-2003, 10:08 PM
that would be just stupid when you have activly developed srvers like apache and abyss. :confused: "Stupid" ?
If you wanna run ASP, you either get a microsoft pro version, or you caugh up 500$ to get the chilisoft package for Apache. And then i think the IIS option is probably easier, cheaper, has got more perspective, better supported.
If no ASP needed --> i'd pick Apache (feel like i'm repeating myself)

oracleguy
07-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Also if you are hosting a production website, you can't use xp pro either because it only allows for 10 connections to the server at once. You need like win2k or win2k3 server.

Moving thread...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum