View Full Version : Microsoft IIS

07-09-2003, 06:34 PM

Just a question about IIS is used to host your own website on your own computer what extensions apart from asp does it support? Do you use it ? Is it worth using it, or is there a better program i can use that does the same thing? im desperate to host if i can because of my fast asdl connection. No point putting it to waste and spending more money on hosting. Im using xp home edition as i understand IIS only comes with Xp pro so i'll have to reaload if it worth it so please help me out people.

07-09-2003, 07:07 PM
wrong forum methinks, this needs to be moved to server side issues.

if i were you, id use apache. its the other big webserver out there (60% or so of web servers run apache i think). apache is more a unix program even though it is available for windows. as a test server i use www.aprelium.com. its fast small and easy to use

07-09-2003, 08:38 PM
used IIS and Apache, and i'd recommend Apache, unless you want to host ASP-pages.
You can also run PHP and probably a whole lot of other stuff with IIS (but you need to add the ISAPI-filters first).

And you do need a windows pro version to get IIS. (For serious hosting, you cant' rely on the free PWS that Microsoft supplies)

07-09-2003, 10:59 PM
that would be just stupid when you have activly developed srvers like apache and abyss.

07-09-2003, 11:08 PM
that would be just stupid when you have activly developed srvers like apache and abyss. :confused: "Stupid" ?
If you wanna run ASP, you either get a microsoft pro version, or you caugh up 500$ to get the chilisoft package for Apache. And then i think the IIS option is probably easier, cheaper, has got more perspective, better supported.
If no ASP needed --> i'd pick Apache (feel like i'm repeating myself)

07-09-2003, 11:09 PM
Also if you are hosting a production website, you can't use xp pro either because it only allows for 10 connections to the server at once. You need like win2k or win2k3 server.

Moving thread...