View Full Version : Do guilds exist for coders?

06-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Topic. I suppose in a way this website is like a guild but I always hear about actual (physical) guilds that exist for electricians, plumbers, and other laborers. Is there anything similar in the U.S., or anywhere for that matter, for coders?

I suppose universities might be similar in some ways. Or maybe seminars, etc?

06-06-2011, 04:14 AM
I know a friend who mentioned there was a jQuery group who meets frequently to discuss about the framework, learn more about it, peer review, ... in Cincinnati, OH.
So, there are definitely seminars/conventions/gatherings/...

Seminars are easiest to find I think since they usually require a fee to attend and typically the seminar is announced well in advance. For instance if you're looking for a .Net framework seminar, just go through M$'s site or sign up for their newsletter.

As for conventions/gatherings/... I don't really know but as you said, local schools/universities are a great place to start.

06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
There are local user groups but they focus on a particular tool, such as Oracle, PHP, etc. and aren't generic "coder" UGs.

Google "Utah User Group" to see what I mean.

Becoming active in your local user groups is a good way to network. Lots of people find jobs through these groups.

06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
There are also professional organizations like IEEE and ACM.

08-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Sent you a pm.....