View Full Version : Excel freeze pane effect in webbrowser

Cringer
07-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Hey. First post here. Looking for some advice. Cheers.

Any Guru web developers out there? I'm sure you know what I mean when I refer to the Excel freeze pane effect. It's not too complicated (I hope) as I only want to freeze the screen horizontally at a certain point.

I could do this by creating two frames and displaying each, but it's a dynamically generated page and doing this will mean problems elsewhere. I can probably do it, but if there's another way I'd prefer to do it all in one document. I want to do something like below:

<some text here>
<table title bar....>
***freeze horizontally here***
<table detail>

Any ideas? Cheers.

brothercake
07-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Not sure if it's exactly what you mean .. but it sounds like a table where the headers are frozen while the content can scroll ..?

If so, there are a couple of solutions in this thread (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17458) - one bulky and tag-soup, but it works x-browser, and one lightweight and semantically meaningful, but it only works in mozilla. Note the debate and take your pick ;)

Cringer
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
I'll take a look through that. Thanks for the quick reply!

Cringer
07-07-2003, 04:39 PM
Bingo! Brothercake, you can have your cake and eat it... you are a star!! Now why is this not documented anywhere....?! :D

loomer
07-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Another option that I used for a dynamic table using PHP was to have the table headers on the main page. Then for the body of the table I used an IFRAME which was fully scrollable. This way the headers never moved and the data in the table was easily modified.

Cringer
07-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Yeah i tried that but it didn't like it.... THink I've cracked it though so thanks for the responses.

Cringer
07-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Ok the way I've done this has a problem. It works wonderfully in IE 5.0. I've just found out though from some feedback that it doesn't work at all in IE6. I've used the following syntax around the scrolling table:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 50%; overflow:auto"><table>...</table></div>

Has anyone got any ideas why this doesn't work in IE6 and if so, how can I fix it? Cheers very much.

EDIT: If you need more info to work out why it's not working, please let me know.

Cringer
07-29-2003, 12:49 PM
I've been fiddling around with a dummy file. It should be attached. This works fine in IE5. Doesn't work in Netscape 4.79. Can't test it on IE6 right now. Will do that in a moment. I've put it through HTML Tidy and it reports no errors....

Any ideas?

Cringer
07-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Just ignore me..... :o lol the test file's working in IE6 now. Must mean there's a problem with my page somwhere that I can't find.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum