View Full Version : New to JS

brif8
07-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Greetings
I'm new to javascript, and after looking around quite a bit I'm stuck with two point.

If I have a javascript, that reports the users browser type. How can I write this to a file, on the server. much like a log file, but with results from a form and other web page entries?

Also I see that Navigator has PrivateRegistryAccess, they say so that you can access the client's registry and check to see they have the latest version of your software, this way you can add lines on your web page to notify them that they need to download the latest version.
What is IE's equivalent? Or does Netscape (non-MS) only access the registry (MS item)?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to learn

brif8

chrismiceli
07-06-2003, 05:52 AM
you would need a server sided scripting language like asp or php.

brif8
07-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Could you possibly point in the right direction to a website that will help. I know nothing on ASP, and would need to link javascript with ASP, or can ASP access the same DOM objects that javascript does. :confused:

Thanks for all you help

Roy Sinclair
07-09-2003, 03:40 PM
If I have a javascript, that reports the users browser type. How can I write this to a file, on the server. much like a log file, but with results from a form and other web page entries?

Simple, you can use JS to output anything it can tell about the user to a form field. That's one reason why JS isn't allowed to find out too much about users, it would be too easy for companies to learn a lot about you if JS allowed them to read anything they wanted.

<form name="myform">
<input type="hidden" value="" name="browser" />
<script>
document.forms["myform"].browser=aVariableISetAlready;
</script>

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum