View Full Version : Beginner's php questions please

05-23-2011, 03:24 PM
I am confused here concerning the opening and editing of files. If you are designing a website using php coding, you name this file's extension .php not so? If yes, according to the tutorials, why use php coding to open and edit a .txt file when you can simply do so using notepad?

05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't know why you're asking about using php to open a .txt file. You might do this if you want your script to automatically read / edit a file on the server (EG a log file) but this is different from doing things manually using notepad.

Also you may be getting confused with how to edit a .php file. This is done in notepad (or similar) where you edit your code and then save it.

To recap:
php files are named with a .php extension. To open and/or edit you use a text editor.

05-24-2011, 12:19 AM
ok got it now, I see now how the changes are made to the txt file via the php code, thanks but now the txt file doesn't show any new changes I make to the php code, any reason why?

05-24-2011, 01:20 AM
The txt file.. which one? - We seem to still be talking about 2 different txt files.

When you edit the .php file be sure to save it, when you reopen the changes you made will still be there.

05-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I am working with this script which deals with

PHP - File Upload: move_uploaded_file Function

but need some help in breaking this down where the "names" are concerned which are bolded below:

$target_path = "uploads/";

$target_path = $target_path . basename( $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']);

if(move_uploaded_file($_FILES['uploadedfile']['tmp_name'], $target_path)) {
echo "The file ". basename( $_FILES['uploadedfile']['name']).
" has been uploaded";
} else{
echo "There was an error uploading the file, please try again!";

Can you advise me on those 3 names issues above please? In other words, those 3 names need to be replaced with what exactly?

05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Names from your form fields...

Please don't confuse the topic. I've asked you a question about your text files and you've returned with a completely new question which seems to be unrelated.

05-24-2011, 05:00 PM
not exacly sure what your asking here, but if your wanting to use that script with your program, just replace "uploadedfile" with the name of your upload field.