View Full Version : browse for url and return value

nnichols
07-03-2003, 01:58 AM
I am currently using IFRAMEs and the execCommand interface for simple WYSIWYG content editing for one of my sites.

The code only needs to work for IE 5.5/6

I would like to be able to make it easy for the admins to navigate to a page in their browser and automatically take the url and title of the page and enter them as a link in the content being edited. I know I can use -

document.write('<a href="' + document.location + '">' + document.title + '</a>');

to get the url and title to form the link. So what I have at the moment is this -

While editing their content they click on a button which opens a second small window (with nav buttons and menus) containing a frameset with the javascript code at the bottom for taking the data and sending it back to the parent page.

Obviously if they enter a url in the address bar and then navigate through to find the page they want, the frameset and code are no longer there. Also if they use a link from there favorites it will get rid of the frameset.

Any suggestions for how to achieve this would be very much appreciated. Thanx in advance for any ideas.

Nick

nnichols
07-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Please. Pretty please.

Somebody must have some ideas as to how to achieve this - or a suggestion for another approach.

swmr
07-05-2003, 10:23 PM
You might try something like this, to allow drag-n-drop linking to local files (html, txt, or images):

<html><head><title>Drag-n-Drop File Linking:</title>

<script type="text/javascript">

function DropWindow(){MyDiv.style.visibility="hidden";
var page="";
page+="<html><head><title>Drop</title></head><body onbeforeunload='opener.MyForm.reset()'>";
page+="<div align='center' style='height:100%;background:#000;color:#fff'>";
page+="Drop it HERE:</div></body></html>";
brwsr=window.open("NonExistent.html","","width=300,height=150,top=0,left=0");
brwsr.document.write(page)}

function ReturnURL(){
var FileLocation=brwsr.document.URL.replace(/^(file:\/\/)/,"file:\/\/\/");
var FileTitle=brwsr.document.title;
var FileName=brwsr.document.URL.split("\\");
if(FileTitle != ""){MySpan.innerHTML="<a href='"+FileLocation+"'>"+FileTitle+"</a>"}
else MySpan.innerHTML="<a href='"+FileLocation+"'>"+FileName[FileName.length-1]+"</a>";
brwsr.window.close();MyDiv.style.visibility="visible";}
</script>

<style "type=text/css">
.drag{border:3px double #ff0000;padding:10px}
</style>

</head><body>
<div id="MyDiv" class="drag" ondragenter="DropWindow()">
Drag *.html, *.txt, or image files here (<small>& drop into new window</small>):</div>
<form id="MyForm" "name=invisible" onreset="setTimeout('ReturnURL()',0)"></form>
<span>A link should appear here: </span><span id="MySpan"></span>
</body></html>

onreset="setTimeout('ReturnURL()',0)" may need to be increased, but works for me at "0"...

EDIT:
-----------------------------------
actually, that code doesn't seem to work online... only from a local file... must be a browser-security issue?
-----------------------------------

nnichols
07-06-2003, 02:29 AM
Thanx for your suggestion. It's given me some food for thought.

Thanx again

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum