View Full Version : Internal/external JS's

07-02-2003, 06:14 AM
Is there a problem with windows OS's finding external JS's?
I have turned all my JS's into external JS's on a Mac and the pages were fine. But now I go and check the page on a windows platform and the JS'S don't load.
I am coding it as such:
<script language ="text/javascript" src="?????.js"></script>

When checking the page I reurned a few of the scripts back to internal JS's and they worked. Is it a common problem?
And how do I fix it.
Everybody tells me to make them external JS's as it makes the coding clearer and page lighter, especially if they are big JS'S.

Any help appreciated.

Rafton:confused: :rolleyes:

07-02-2003, 09:11 AM
I am affraid that is a syntax error on your refrence.

As far as I know, language must be "JavaScript". Type must be "text/javascript".

That means language="text/javascript" seems not the correct syntax to me. Maybe a moderator will tell us more about those...

So use or
or both

07-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Most browsers only recognise "ecmascript", "javascript" and "livescript" in the language attribute. Some recognise "jscript" (no, not only ie). A few recognise additional values.

As for type attribute, however, browsers that doesn't recognise it as a registred content type, and that can't parse that content type, SHOULD ignore it. Most do. Content types that are generally accepted are "text/javascript", "application/x-javascript", "text/ecmascript", "text/plain" & "text/html" (both treated as "text/javascript"). Some also accept "text/unknown".

If you don't need to use a JS1.2 specific feature I suggest you go with type="text/javascript".