View Full Version : Help with CCS for Newbie

cathalfarrell
05-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

I think I may be asking the impossible here but I thought I'd put it out to all the helpfull experts and see what comes back.

Our website was built by another company, who since have gone out of business and I am unable to contact anyone.

I would like to make some amendments to the site by adding a new page to the menu bar but when I open the website in Dreamweaver I am unable to edit the title bar and menu, I believ it is CCS. I familar with basic HTML but not CCS. Is there a particular file I need to edit?

I can post a zip file of my full website but I'm not sure if this is a safe thing to do or not.

Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Cathal

bullant
05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
You will need to add an extra tab/link to the menu's html or if it is created dynamically, to the code that generates the menu.

It would help to see what is going on if you can post the code that creates your current menu.

teedoff
05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Its probably because the menu is a server side include. You would need to open that file, not the actual page file.

But as bullant said, a link to your site or your code would be helpful.

cathalfarrell
05-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Bullant and Teedoff

Thank you both for your help and advice

I'm not sure what file in the web directory contains the source code for the menu, there are a lot and I'm not too sure what I'm looking for.

The website address is http://www.lotusmedicalinternational.com

Or I can post a zip file of the site directory?

Again, thank you.
Cathal

teedoff
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
You can look to see if there are any files that may be named menu.html...or maybe navigation, navBar.html.

If you cant find it, then yes you could zip up ALL your files so one of us could try and find the file.

cathalfarrell
05-03-2011, 05:48 AM
Hi Teedoff

I tried to attach a zip copy of our complete web directory but its 8 MB, too large to attach.

Would you have an email address I could send it to?

I really appreciate you help.

Thank you,
Cathal

bullant
05-03-2011, 05:52 AM
or maybe as an alternative, split the zip file into 2-3 or however many you need to get under the limit and post the zips in multiple posts - I hope it's not against the rules :eek:

cathalfarrell
05-03-2011, 06:02 AM
if its 8 MB and I have to split into 50k files that will be a lot of files.

Maybe I can upload to on online dive space and send ou the link to download?

C. :)

bullant
05-03-2011, 06:06 AM
yep, that sounds like a better idea if 50k is the limit.

cathalfarrell
05-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi Bullant

Here is a link to the entire web directory,

http://cid-f9834e86765a93f6.office.live.com/self.aspx/Public

I think you should be able to download the Zip file from here. Can you let me know when you have downloaded the file so I can delete for security.

Thank you,
Cathal

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-03-2011, 07:59 AM
That would explain it. Your entire site is based off of a few templates. Why they decided to do it this way I don't know, makes things a bit harder to edit. Open up each template in the Templates folder in Dreamweaver. You may want to setup a site using the site manager so any file that has those templates attached to it will be updated. It is the templates you will be editing. You may have to edit each one.

http://www.webtemplateszone.com/tutorials/dw_site_def.htm

If you still can't figure it out, then hire a professional.

cathalfarrell
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks for your help Aerospace_Eng, I really appreciate it.

As I mentioned...

I'm a bit of a Newbie and sometimes just need pointed in the right direction.

Cheers,
Cathal

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum