View Full Version : HTML Coding - Easy One

Grubup
04-22-2011, 12:10 AM
What's the coding when you want to put a paragraph of script anywhere on the page. So it can be like 2 inches wide? I don't do much, and I've lost my reference book. I'd be most grateful. Thanks.

Nile
04-22-2011, 01:17 AM
<p style="width: 2in;">Lorem ipsum</p>

Kor
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Using absolute measurement units (inches, millimeters, etc) is not a bright idea. In web applications you should use either px (pixels), which are relative to the resolution of the screen or em, which are relative to the closest parent which has a firm set size (in pixels).

Otherwise your document will look distorted in different resolutions.

Grubup
04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Using absolute measurement units (inches, millimeters, etc) is not a bright idea. In web applications you should use either px (pixels), which are relative to the resolution of the screen or em, which are relative to the closest parent which has a firm set size (in pixels).

Otherwise your document will look distorted in different resolutions.

No, the 2 inches were just an example. I want to put a paragraph anywhere on the page, about that size, and without the text given itself a space between the lines. Thanks.

Grubup
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
<p style="width: 2in;">Lorem ipsum</p>

Thanks very much for that, it works a treat, but might I ask you one more question? I'm trying to write text without it going right across the page. Now some lines are 2 inches long, but if the next line is 3 inches long, how can I make my sentences individually fit? If I leave it at the same length, a sentence will start on the previous line? Thanks again

Grubup
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks very much for that, it works a treat, but might I ask you one more question? I'm trying to write text without it going right across the page. Now some lines are 2 inches long, but if the next line is 3 inches long, how can I make my sentences individually fit? If I leave it at the same length, a sentence will start on the previous line? I suppose what I'm asking is how do a create a space in the text? Thanks again

Grubup
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Sorry, new to this forum. I suppose what I'm asking, what's the coding for writing text anywhere on the page, at any width, and the coding for the spacing I would require.

teedoff
04-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Sorry, new to this forum. I suppose what I'm asking, what's the coding for writing text anywhere on the page, at any width, and the coding for the spacing I would require.

And obviously new to coding? Why not do some learning on your own. You need to understand some basics of html and css. As Kor pointed out, speaking and thinking in terms of inches in a web application is confusing and at the very least not the most proper wordage and phrasing.

w3schools.com (http://www.w3schools.com) is a good place to start. Google is also a place to start as well.

Grubup
04-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I do understand the basics. I just used 2inches as a guide. I haven't done HTML for sometime, and I can't find my reference book. I need to write a document for a funeral. All I require to finish it off is to know he code for spacing between words, now. If you can just give me that, I'd be grateful. Thank you

teedoff
04-22-2011, 04:09 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=css+to+space+words

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum