View Full Version : BG in IE

SDP2006
06-26-2003, 03:21 AM
Does anyone know the size of the screen in IE. I want to make a background image that would take up the whole screen (no more, no less).

MotherNatrsSon
06-26-2003, 04:31 AM
That would depend on what screen resolution the user that was viewing your site is using. What image are you thinking of using? Can you attach a jpeg to a post?

MNS

cubeddesign
06-26-2003, 08:22 AM
i honestly can say that it is impossible.. people can customize the size of their scroll bars, different resolution, unless you write a javascript that automatically resizes the bg image.

ionsurge
06-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Unless your site was fixed in a set of frames, not possible.

whackaxe
06-26-2003, 02:51 PM
you could make a huge(bandwidth munching) image and then resize it to the right dimensions using screen.availHeight and screen.availWidth i found that on MSDN so it may not be standard

bradyj
06-26-2003, 04:20 PM
FYI -- webmonkey has a downloadable photoshop file that has each browser+version screen shot on a photoshop layer. You can take your background, pop it on another layer, and size it to match what you'd like. The web address is:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/41/index3a_page2.html?tw=design

edit -- it's the three buttons at the bottom of the page that are named by resolution.

bradyj
06-26-2003, 04:39 PM
I will also say that my stint here at Codingforums.com has taught me many things about web design I had a difficult time coming to terms with as a print designer, and that is something you should think of when you are building this page. You cannot control the layout 100%.

This is true when really thinking, why would you need a background that fits exactly in the window? It should be either one size and works in that one size, or it should be 'liquid' and be able to stretch and mold to the screen (or you make variations of your website for different browsers/OS, etc.). It will never fit perfectly controlled because that is not the way web building works -- unless, of course, you build it in Flash -- where you can make everything just like print (with different drawbacks).

Can you accomplish the site without a background being exactly to the edge of the window?

SDP2006
06-26-2003, 07:52 PM
What i wanted to do was create a background that would fit snuggly on the screen. Whats the resolution of that?

bradyj
06-26-2003, 08:06 PM
What we're saying is that people have many different sized monitors, and those monitors are at different resolutions (I have a 22" monitor here at work which is quite larger than my home one indeed) and every browser has a different amount of viewing space.

check out that link I sent you again:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey....html?tw=design

at the bottom is a chart that tells you the resolution by browser. All of them are slightly different (even in the same browser but different version sometimes). So you cannot have one background image fit perfectly into the page. It's not a simple one answer solution. For example:

640x480 montor
Windows IE 6 is 620px width x 293px height
Windows IE 5 is 620px width x 290px height
Windows IE 4 is 620px width x 317px height

If you make a background image 620 pixels x 293 pixels -- that'll work for IE 6, but will be too large for IE 5, and too small for IE 4. If someone has their monitor set to 800x600, that background will be too small by far. If their monitor is set to 1024x768, then it'll only be a little over half the size of the screen. Make sense? I tend to ramble...

SDP2006
06-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Okay, I knew that, but the page is only going to be viewed by me on my PC so it wouldn't matter. Thanks anyways :thumbsup:

whackaxe
06-27-2003, 03:59 PM
:| couldn't you have mentoned that earlier :p

eyestrained21
06-30-2003, 04:32 AM
you could have done tiling a pattern, for my experience handling large background files, i usually have a drawback of crawling pages, which sucks most of the time. what i do is to tile a small pix. surely that would take only a little space with no absolute problem whatever your resolution is.

cg9com
07-05-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by eyestrained21
you could have done tiling a pattern, for my experience handling large background files, i usually have a drawback of crawling pages, which sucks most of the time. what i do is to tile a small pix. surely that would take only a little space with no absolute problem whatever your resolution is.
If i'm not mistaken tiling can also slow down a page, as it is up to the computer processor to do it.

freechus9
07-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Or you could use a feather paintbrush/eraser and paint/erase the very edge of the image you want, and then make the background of the page the color you just added. Then add a fixed background image tag using CSS and viola! Or just use a javascript to resize the browser on clicking the link.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum