View Full Version : Mozilla ff4 final release

Kor
03-23-2011, 11:12 AM
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-4.0&os=win&lang=en-US

Fortunately, Firebug was able to launch immediately Firebug 1.7, compatible with FF4

https://getfirebug.com/downloads/

I hate one thing, so far, in FF4. On right click over a link, they switched again the order between Open Link In a New Tab (who is now again the first, like in FF 2, but reversed in FF3) and Open Link In a New Window. I wish they could make up their mind once for ever :)

bullant
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
That first link tried to download an .exe immediately.

Luckily I could stop it :)

If you would like to have a look at FF4 before downloading it, this is the FF4 home page (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/) from which you can download FF4 (12MB) if you choose to.

Kor
03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
That first link tried to download an .exe immediately.

Luckily I could stop it :)
You should have instructed all your browsers to ask which operation to choose before they are invited to execute or to download something. That is an elementary safety setting you are to do whenever you install a new browser..

bullant
03-23-2011, 12:16 PM
That's how I caught and stopped it :)

But there are many non tech-savvy people out there and I always prefer to give people a choice to download stuff, hence the link I posted :)

Fumigator
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Who is proofreading their copy?

Firefox 4 has been designed by a team of experts and tested by millions of users around the world to make sure your browsing as intuitive and easy as possible.

Good news! Your Firefox is up to date. Discover More Awesome

What does that even mean, Discover More Awesome?

VIPStephan
03-23-2011, 06:22 PM
It’s not downloading anything with JS disabled (NoScript). :)
However, Kor, another reason why you’d better point to the home page instead of the direct download is that not everybody has Windows as their OS.

Inigoesdr
03-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Who is proofreading their copy?

Charlie Sheen.

Fumigator
03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Duh, WINNING!

Well I still love FF but the changes to the interface are entirely annoying and the FF people just seem to be changing to look more like Chrome.

VIPStephan
03-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I just upgraded and find Firefox on Mac is still a little buggy in some things. For example when I open the preferences, edit a few things, and then close it again, there is a gray rectangle in the top left corner which covers part of my window. It looks like that’s the anchor of the pref window which comes down/switches with a really unnecessary animation (like when you minimize a window into the dock). I think they went a little far with gimmicks there.

bullant
03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
Looks like mainly cosmetic changes.

hmmm.....even though during installation I selected to not make FF my default browser, it went ahead and did so anyway :eek:......soon fixed that little "feature" :D:p

adamchronister8
03-24-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm gonna wait until the final update of Firefox 3.6.x before I upgrade to 4. Firefox's memory problems get on my last nerves and I want to see how that's dealt with before I switch.

Kor
03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
And the JavaScript alert window is stupid (at least under Win7). A simple square with a thin black border, half white, half dim gray. It's like my first draw in Photoshop 4.0, 15 years ago :)

VIPStephan
03-24-2011, 11:51 AM
And the JavaScript alert window is stupid (at least under Win7). A simple square with a thin black border, half white, half dim gray. It's like my first draw in Photoshop 4.0, 15 years ago :)

Well, it doesn’t look that bad in my opinion but it also doesn’t match the general UI at all. It looks like a common JavaScript overlay confirmation message. At first I was confused where that was coming from. I’m wondering what they thought when they did that.

abduraooft
03-24-2011, 04:39 PM
It's amazing to watch their Download Stats (http://glow.mozilla.org/) !

Fumigator
03-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that is now a DIV overlay and therefore not a modal dialogue box? So a user can switch tabs without resolving that message box? If so then I approve. But yeah it looks a little too minimalist.

Kor
03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't like where they put the Bookmarks (as I have to fly my mouse from right to left to right to left and so on whenever circling trough sub folders... I don't like the minimal design of the JavaScript alerts. FF4 already crashed 2 times today when I used the DreamWeaver F12 (open document in the main browser), and things like that... :)

I hardly wait the FF 4.10 :D

Fumigator
03-24-2011, 05:04 PM
It's amazing to watch their Download Stats (http://glow.mozilla.org/) !

OK that is awesome. Especially the arc chart. Mind goggling, really. It really is a world wide web! Thanks dude, you gave me something to do until lunch. :D

How does their server farm handle that kind of traffic??!? Woah.

abduraooft
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
OK that is awesome. Especially the arc chart. Mind goggling, really. It really is a world wide web! Thanks dude, you gave me something to do until lunch. :D
I haven't taken my copy yet. I'm waiting to see a saturation point, from which I can download one and see a count++ for my action ;)

VIPStephan
03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I just discovered how to customize Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html)’s look with userChrome.css. I guess you can also change the look of the alert messages to your liking. To find out how the elements in the chrome are named you can use the DOM Inspector addon.

gameutopia
03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Is ff 4x even stable, current, normal release yet? I keep upgrading 3.6x as it becomes available, but I thought 4x was beta or testing yet. I wouldn't expect a bunch of plugin / addons to work yet. Some possibly, but others may need updating by the developers or creators. The more popular ones usually do. Some of the less popular seem to take longer, and some tend to disappear. Part of the fun I guess.

bullant
03-25-2011, 11:24 AM
I like the new alert boxes in FF4

Inigoesdr
03-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that is now a DIV overlay and therefore not a modal dialogue box? So a user can switch tabs without resolving that message box? If so then I approve. But yeah it looks a little too minimalist.

Yep, you can switch tabs with an alert up.

Kor
03-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Yes and no :) You can switch tabs (which is really useful). I guess that Mozilla managed somehow to make the tabs independent (as if they were new windows)

But it is not a div nor something like that. It is the same synchronous JavaScript alert modal window, which acts as before, but it looks like a lightbox div. Neat :)

Apostropartheid
03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Yes and no :) You can switch tabs (which is really useful). I guess that Mozilla managed somehow to make the tabs independent (as if they were new windows)

But it is not a div nor something like that. It is the same synchronous JavaScript alert modal window, which acts as before, but it looks like a lightbox div. Neat :)

Did they do that in this release? I was under the impression the had semi-isolated them but I'm pretty sure a crash in one tab is going to bring down the browser with it still. They aren't discrete processes yet, at least on Windows.

Kor
03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Did they do that in this release? I was under the impression the had semi-isolated them but I'm pretty sure a crash in one tab is going to bring down the browser with it still. They aren't discrete processes yet, at least on Windows.
I really don't know. An alert is isolated indeed, but I have not tested something like a JavaScript endless loop, or things like that. I suspect that a crash remains a crash. To be tested.

As I have said, I have already reported two crashes in FF4, when trying to open a new tab via the DreamWeaver CSS5 through its Preview in Browser facility. Random, I reckon. By accident, sure.

rmr
03-29-2011, 03:28 AM
I'll wait for the portable version.

Kor
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Does it happen only to me? I have to press two times the F5 in order to clear the cache and reload the document from server.

bullant
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
only once for me.

Inigoesdr
03-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Haven't had any crashes yet, but it is hoarding memory like there is no tomorrow. Yesterday I had 6 tabs open and it was using over a GB of ram.

mpreston
04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
FF4 is rad!

levicki
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Firefox 4.0 user interface changes are atrocious.

1. Context menu options order changed (new window, new tab)

Seriously, WTF???
What if next Windows/KDE/Gnome release reversed order of Copy and Paste for example? How would you like it, huh?

2. No statuspanel

You got to be kidding me???
Why the URL is truncated and how to see the full URL to know whether you are being redirected?
Where to see the page loading progress?
Why there is no option to revert to old status bar?
Why there is only ugly fat ***** called AddonBar which is taking MORE space than the statuspanel used to take?
Why URL does not have full width? Visual tracking of everchanging elements is annoying and requires more concentration.

3. No menu bar by default

"View page source" tucked away in web developer submenu. So, regular people have to become web developers to be allowed to see the page source? Because that is what the wording and the option location implies.

To get to Downloads or Bookmarks one has to move mouse quicky over/around the New Tab option or the options get covered by a popup menu and cannot be selected. Moreover, New Tab -> New Window is confusing, and New Tab -> New Tab is redundant (D'oh!).

Rendering of classic menu bar on Windows with Aero is very hard on eyes for visually impaired people (well at least for me text is harder to read than in other applications).

It is now obvious that Mozilla developers are toying and tinkering because they cannot devise and keep consistent and accessible user interface.

I downloaded and tested IE9, and I prefer it over this crap Firefox has become over time.

Fumigator
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I agree with all of your points... steps in the wrong direction, and like I mentioned, it seems like these changes were made just to make FF look and feel like Chrome. If I liked the look and feel of Chrome, I'd use Chrome.

Give us back the status bar... please....

Kor
04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Or at least make it optional on/off from somewhere. Or it is and we haven't noticed? :)

VIPStephan
04-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Or at least make it optional on/off from somewhere. Or it is and we haven't noticed? :)

There are extensions (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/) for that now.

levicki
04-02-2011, 05:46 AM
There are extensions (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/) for that now.

I know, but that is not exactly the same thing as real statuspanel, and my point wasn't just whether those things I listed that were fscked up can be restored or not -- I wonder whether those changes were necessary and how can they be justified.

I mean, who in their right mind changes menu option ordering after several years?

Who in their right mind designs a menu so that you cannot access part of it without having super reflexes? What about people with disabilities?

Who would be so oblivious to logic and reasoning so as to remove the statuspanel (supposedly to conserve vertical screen space) and then add AddonBar which takes more vertical space than statuspanel did?

Who decided that pressing F11 (full scree) does not remove the statuspanel thoroughly enough?

Who made AwesomeBar to search through bookmarks and then had to revert the changes to enable people to get old behavior?

Is it just me, or you can also notice a pattern here?

The more I think about it, the more the answer presents itself -- only open-source developers seem capable of being so inconsiderate towards their old "customers" -- they don't have any obligation to keep them happy because hey, it's "free".

VIPStephan
04-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Well, you can agitate about that forever or – as Firefox is open source – create your own fork with everything that you used to like about Fx. And if you’re not capable of doing so here is a list of web browsers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers) for you to choose from.

Apostropartheid
04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Firefox 4.0 user interface changes are atrocious.

1. Context menu options order changed (new window, new tab)

Seriously, WTF???
What if next Windows/KDE/Gnome release reversed order of Copy and Paste for example? How would you like it, huh?

2. No statuspanel

You got to be kidding me???
Why the URL is truncated and how to see the full URL to know whether you are being redirected?
Where to see the page loading progress?
Why there is no option to revert to old status bar?
Why there is only ugly fat ***** called AddonBar which is taking MORE space than the statuspanel used to take?
Why URL does not have full width? Visual tracking of everchanging elements is annoying and requires more concentration.

3. No menu bar by default

"View page source" tucked away in web developer submenu. So, regular people have to become web developers to be allowed to see the page source? Because that is what the wording and the option location implies.

To get to Downloads or Bookmarks one has to move mouse quicky over/around the New Tab option or the options get covered by a popup menu and cannot be selected. Moreover, New Tab -> New Window is confusing, and New Tab -> New Tab is redundant (D'oh!).

Rendering of classic menu bar on Windows with Aero is very hard on eyes for visually impaired people (well at least for me text is harder to read than in other applications).

It is now obvious that Mozilla developers are toying and tinkering because they cannot devise and keep consistent and accessible user interface.

I downloaded and tested IE9, and I prefer it over this crap Firefox has become over time.

You have some valid points, and some silly ones. The extensions take care of your apparent need for a status bar, but I would think that the removal of the status bar is a good move for the vast majority of users. But fair enough. You seem to take exception to the fact that some things are not there by default, but Firefox has never been about what's there by default.

View source belongs in a developers' menu. Who do you know who isn't a web developer (bearing in mind that you don't have to be a professional to be a web developer) who views source code?

I know what you mean about the new text rendering, it's ridiculous. And the New Tab stuff is just downright weird.

TinyScript
04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
LAME

I hate that firefox will no longer refresh a page unless it's been navigated from. For example, I open a page from my quick start icon. It opens to google, the home page setting. I search a couple of times and then I want to go back, but the back button doesn't do anything. the reload button does nothing. f5 does nothing.

I have to hold ctrl and hit reload button to open a new tab.
the new tab of the same page will now refresh. f5 will work. and all the back button features will work.

what's up with that.

tried to set about:config but nothing worked.

Plus! Firefox 4 is now the only browser that this script doesn't work in correctly.

http://www.dhteumeuleu.com/canvas-3d/

I removed ff4 and loaded 3.16 and it worked perfectly.

Poor Gerard. That script is awesome and now firefox screwed it.

TinyScript
04-02-2011, 09:17 PM
LOL my browser crashed 3 seconds after the last post took.

Apostropartheid
04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
LAME

I hate that firefox will no longer refresh a page unless it's been navigated from. For example, I open a page from my quick start icon. It opens to google, the home page setting. I search a couple of times and then I want to go back, but the back button doesn't do anything. the reload button does nothing. f5 does nothing.

I have to hold ctrl and hit reload button to open a new tab.
the new tab of the same page will now refresh. f5 will work. and all the back button features will work.

what's up with that.

tried to set about:config but nothing worked.

Plus! Firefox 4 is now the only browser that this script doesn't work in correctly.

http://www.dhteumeuleu.com/canvas-3d/

I removed ff4 and loaded 3.16 and it worked perfectly.

Poor Gerard. That script is awesome and now firefox screwed it.

I tried what you said but both the back buttons and the reload button, as well as F5, work perfectly. Have you tried switching the homepage to something else and then back again?

Pity about the canvas though. Cool script.

gameutopia
04-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I really would like to upgrade to firefox 4x but I am affraid to lose my addons/plugins. Because of this I've been putting it off. I have been wondering about a compatibility check but have yet to see one mentioned. I will likely upgrade in the near future or test it out on a spare computer, but for the time being I am hesitant to jump into it. I have way to much to lose right now.

Kor
04-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I really would like to upgrade to firefox 4x but I am affraid to lose my addons/plugins. Because of this I've been putting it off. I have been wondering about a compatibility check but have yet to see one mentioned. I will likely upgrade in the near future or test it out on a spare computer, but for the time being I am hesitant to jump into it. I have way to much to lose right now.
To be frank, the only really useful extensions are FireBug, Flashblock and, more or less, User Agent Switcher, which either have already FF4 versions or simply don't need an upgrade.

The rest are trifles :D

Brandoe85
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I agree with all of your points... steps in the wrong direction, and like I mentioned, it seems like these changes were made just to make FF look and feel like Chrome. If I liked the look and feel of Chrome, I'd use Chrome.

First thing that came into my head when I installed it...Chrome. Bleh... :(

Lamped
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
I have to say, most people who whine and ***** about Chrome simply haven't used it enough. If you tried it months ago, try it again now. The developer tools alone are incredible.

Maybe FF4 is reason enough to change.

Fumigator
04-06-2011, 06:16 AM
What if I used Chrome for a while and decided I didn't like it? Do you really think everyone has to prefer what you prefer? And why would I abandon FF4 because it's similar to Chrome, and then start using Chrome? :p :rolleyes:

bullant
04-06-2011, 07:31 AM
All the majors are starting to look similar now. Oprah 11 has a similar alert box to FF4.

Also, I guess IE9 has been officially released. It appeared in my list of Windows Updates this morning. Downloaded it, looks good - very similar to FF4 and first impressions is that it's much faster than IE8.

Think I'll stick with IE as my default browser.

Lamped
04-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Do you really think everyone has to prefer what you prefer?

Damn right, because I'm correct and everyone else is wrong!

Seriously though, I don't care what you use, as long as it's not IE6/7. My point was that Chrome has improved a great deal recently, especially in the Developer Tools: Something I'm sure almost everyone here has some interest in.

As has been stated numerous times though, since they're all starting to look the same and have similar-ish performance (relative to say, IE8), I guess it comes down to a few minor points.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum