View Full Version : Microsoft starts campaign to kill IE6, Web Devs collectively sigh of relief

ShaneC
03-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Microsoft launched a new website and online marketing campaign to help usher in the death of IE6. It shows all of the current usage from around the world, China being the biggest offender by far. Take a look:

http://ie6countdown.com/

Original News Post (from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/microsoft-kicks-off-effort-to-rid-the-world-of-internet-explorer/)):

"Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer 6." A quote from any random web developer over the past ten years? Nope, that's from Microsoft itself, and it's featured on the Internet Explorer 6 Countdown site that the company just launched today. As you can see above, the site also includes statistics on IE6 use around the world (China is apparently the biggest offender by a wide margin), as well as information about how you can "join the cause" and educate others about the perils of using such a horrible, outdated web browser.

bullant
03-05-2011, 07:04 AM
I support only the latest or the latest 2 versions of the major browsers, so I've already cut IE6 loose a long time ago now:)

Philip M
03-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I support only the latest or the latest 2 versions of the major browsers, so I've already cut IE6 loose a long time ago now:)

That is obviously very sensible. IE6 is used by only 12% of the world. (Around 3% in USA, Canada and UK.) Would a politician bother with a measly 12% of the vote?

bullant
03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
That is obviously very sensible.

I am retired now and so I can pick and choose what jobs I take on and how I want to do them.

Some organisations, big and small, for their own reasons have still not upgraded their browsers from IE6. If a potential client's website specs. specify a need to support IE6 as well, I don't even submit a quote for the project anymore.

Inigoesdr
03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
A friend sent me this earlier: http://twitpic.com/478jgy

mpreston
04-01-2011, 12:26 PM
IE9 is damn fast. A giant leap from what its used to be.

Alex Vincent
04-01-2011, 11:47 PM
11.6 percent as of today.

trev777
04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I think IE9 is not as good as it needs to be. It still got a lot of room for improvement.

Lamped
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Until MS either release IE9 for XP, or give a copy of IE8 that ignores all activation hacks, basically allowing it to be installed on illegal versions of XP, IE6 will continue to be an issue.

Fortunately for me, the target audience for myself and my clients has been Europe and America so I can effectively ignore IE6 (though I still do a quick sanity check anyway).

kungfukid
04-22-2011, 10:20 AM
its the DRUNKEN browser, is that what microsoft is trying to say?
they were HAMMERED when they wrote that code?
I always suspected as much...I forgot all about IE6. I think that browser caused more grey hairs than any other software on earth. yikes.

tfit
04-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Fortunately for me, the target audience for myself and my clients has been Europe and America so I can effectively ignore IE6 (though I still do a quick sanity check anyway).

There is a opportunity here. I have been watching too much youtube clips about marketing/monetizing and I saw a really nice example of csszengarden passing by. eample 62.
I think from a marketing standpoint there is an opportunity here to test out campaigns that generate the best results. I haven't tried it out myself yet, but it's certainly i'll do in the future

jfreak53
04-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Why would you even use it, when you have so many choices for REAL browsers out there? :D

gameutopia
04-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Man why oh why won't everyone just let ie6 die and go to rest. I swear the internet world will be so much happier when it finally is obliviated.

bullant
04-30-2011, 11:07 PM

yep, that's the first thing I noticed about it as well. Noticeably faster than ie8. IE is still my default browser although I use FF4 for browsing codingforums because the element titles remain visible until you move off them which gives me more time to read the thread "teasers" in the serach forums page.

Alex Vincent
05-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Now it's 11.4%.

firepages
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Until MS either release IE9 for XP, or give a copy of IE8 that ignores all activation hacks, basically allowing it to be installed on illegal versions of XP, IE6 will continue to be an issue.....

lol , Lamped nailed it in 1

+1

Kor
05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Until MS either release IE9 for XP, or give a copy of IE8 that ignores all activation hacks, basically allowing it to be installed on illegal versions of XP, IE6 will continue to be an issue.
But I have an illegal XP installed on one of my notebooks (I considered that 2 genuine MS Win licenses, one on my work station, one on my wife's notebook, are enough for a single household - because I think Bill Gates is already rich enough:D), and I have no "activation hacks problems" with IE8... :)

oracleguy
05-05-2011, 11:41 PM
But I have an illegal XP installed on one of my notebooks (I considered that 2 genuine MS Win licenses, one on my work station, one on my wife's notebook, are enough for a single household - because I think Bill Gates is already rich enough:D), and I have no "activation hacks problems" with IE8... :)
That is an interesting rationalization from a software developer. Why not just install Linux instead if you don't want to pay for Windows on it?

Apostropartheid
05-06-2011, 02:19 AM

How can you justify taking another copy of Windows by saying you think it should cost less?

Kor
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
You two have no sense of humor. Or maybe mine is too British :)

Apostropartheid
05-06-2011, 10:59 PM
You two have no sense of humor. Or maybe mine is too British :)

I guarantee I'm more British than you are!

bullant
05-07-2011, 04:08 AM

hmmmm....interesting and noted ;)

mherders
05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
I can't believe they are still supporting it. The is one hell of an old program.

bazz
05-10-2011, 12:48 AM
That is obviously very sensible. IE6 is used by only 12% of the world. (Around 3% in USA, Canada and UK.) Would a politician bother with a measly 12% of the vote?

would they bother with 100%? lol

Alex Vincent
06-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Thread bumping. :D The percentage is 10.9% now. China alone is 5.8%, with 33.9% of their users on IE6.

twaddledotz
06-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Really? I currently have IE 8 and I hate using it. I might get IE 9 later and see if there's improvement.
My computer has 3 browsers right now. Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.
I mostly use Chrome but also like Firefox because of the add-ons.

bullant
06-12-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm not sure what all the ho-hum over IE is all about.

In my experience (from IE7+) if I write validated (x)html Strict and validated CSS code I have very, very rarely had any issues with IE. And on the extremely rare occasion where I have had an issue, it was very minor and easily fixed.

drhowarddrfine
06-15-2011, 11:57 PM
if I write validated (x)html Strict and validated CSS code I have very, very rarely had any issues with IE. And on the extremely rare occasion where I have had an issue, it was very minor and easily fixed.
Then you don't write anything other than simple pages and properly set all your elements in CSS. Beyond that, IE has poor to no support for modern standards and practices. If you want to get into modern app development, IE will be the yolk around your neck and you will curse it. See my link below.

bullant
06-16-2011, 04:30 AM
Then you don't write anything other than simple pages and properly set all your elements in CSS.

I have built websites from plain vanilla no bells and whistles static web pages to database driven e-commerce websites.

I code in css2 and xhtml strict for commercial work and I support IE8+, FF3+, Opera 10+ and the latest versions of Safari for Windows and Chrome.

With validated xhtml and css, so far I have not had any issues with browser compatibility.

If you have had issues, maybe post some code and I or someone might be able to help.

MattF
06-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Anyone else pulling up a chair to see how/where this thread goes?

Kor
06-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Goes where? :D

bullant
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM

nup, not me :)

Using validated xhtml and css2 on anything from static to database driven e-commerce websites, I haven't had any significant issues with browser compatibility with the browsers I support as listed earlier.

There are much more important things going on this world for me to spend time on than caring what MS do with IE6 ;)

alykins
06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
i just wanted to throw in- and please dont lynch me for it... that i still have... a really old laptop... running win2000(pretty sure) and IE6.... o.O.... i use it to play a hacked starcraft XD and SNES ROMS-- it is mega fun trying to get 'new' roms btw... bc it's really a race against how quickly i can get the dl started before there is a fatal error and IE crashes lol :thumbsup:

Krupski
06-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I wish the title of this thread was "Microsoft starts campaign to kill all versions of Internet Explorer, Web Devs collectively sigh of relief".

Hamza7
06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Now it is 10.9%
Good bye IE6 and up!
Welcome FireFox 4!

Alex Vincent
07-12-2011, 02:24 AM
I've been asleep: it's 10.7% now.

Alex Vincent
08-02-2011, 02:21 AM
9.7%! It's below ten percent!!!

DanInMa
08-02-2011, 05:08 AM
my environment is over 40% ie6. But I got good news this week, some upgrade is forcing them to update all the machines to IE8 this month. New problems :)

jadams
08-04-2011, 01:13 AM
I've been using ie8 for quite a while now. I would love to try ie9 but since it isn't available for XP I will have to wait for a while until I but a new computer. Too bad, it sounds really interesting.

Life
08-08-2011, 05:55 AM
Yeah i despise IE6 some of my clients still ask me to code sites for IE6. Still have to make them happy. Its a real pain for compatibility.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum