View Full Version : trouble with download code

killjoy
02-27-2011, 04:29 AM
Having trouble with a basic download code for a zip file on my website (to let others download a file). It worked before, but this is a new server. I use:

<a href="http://www.my website name/file name.zip">download name</a>

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me?? :confused:

thesam101
02-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi killjoy

I know that is an example file path, but spaces in file names may prevent it downloading, you should always use camelCase or underscores :)

killjoy
02-27-2011, 09:26 PM
sam,

Thanks, but it turns out there was no problem with my code (btw, there were no spaces - you're right, that was just an example) ..... the problem was with the server. Everything's working fine now. :thumbsup:

Now I want to upload wordpad files that people can download from my site. I think all I have to do is upload them and then simply add the .rtf extension to the download code.

Thanks again.

thesam101
02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
sam,

Thanks, but it turns out there was no problem with my code (btw, there were no spaces - you're right, that was just an example) ..... the problem was with the server. Everything's working fine now. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it :thumbsup:

Now I want to upload wordpad files that people can download from my site. I think all I have to do is upload them and then simply add the .rtf extension to the download code.

Well, without a PHP downloading script, when you link to files, what occurs (whether it simply downloads or loads in the browser) depends on the user computer. For example, if I put a link to an image, on my computer it wont download the image becuase the web browser can show it.

As you linked to a ZIP file, the browser can't open that, so puts it as a download ;)

As for .rtf not sure if you can open them in browser, but can always put each in a zip file to be sure :D

Good luck.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum