View Full Version : <button type="button">Click Me!</button>

Darqniz
02-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Are there other button types besides this default one? If there is only one type of button then why add the <button type="button"> why not just <button>?

bullant
02-23-2011, 08:37 AM
The <button> element doesn't need a "type=" attribute.

The <input> element needs a type attribute if it is to be a button <input type="button" name="myButton" value="Click me.!" />

abduraooft
02-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Are there other button types besides this default one? If there is only one type of button then why add the <button type="button"> why not just <button>?

The <button> element doesn't need a "type=" attribute.

The <input> element needs a type attribute if it is to be a button <input type="button" name="myButton" value="Click me.!" />

Yes, it has!
Read http://htmldog.com/reference/htmltags/button/

bullant
02-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Yes, it has!

"Yes, it has", what?

The type attribute is optional for the <button> element.

abduraooft
02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
"Yes, it has", what?

The type attribute is optional for the <button> element.
May be, but OP asked
Are there other button types besides this default one?

bullant
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
and I replied with

I'm not sure what the "it" is that you say "has" something. But never mind, it's not important.

abduraooft
02-23-2011, 10:57 AM
and I replied with

I'm not sure what the "it" is that you say "has" something. But never mind, it's not important.
But the OP didn't ask about <input>. Why are you mixing the original question with the characteristic of an <input> element?

bullant
02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't think I'm mixing up anything.

The op asked

Are there other button types besides this default one?

and the answer is yes - an input button.

VIPStephan
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Bullant, I think you’re a little picky here. The OP meant to ask if there are other values for the type attribute of the button element. And there are, for example <button type="submit"></button>.

bullant
02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
The OP meant to ask if there are other values for the type attribute of the button element. And there are, for example <button type="submit"></button>.

I don't know what the op really meant to ask because their question as worded is ambiguous, so I answered according to what I thought the op asked.

Darqniz
02-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Bullant, I think you’re a little picky here. The OP meant to ask if there are other values for the type attribute of the button element. And there are, for example <button type="submit"></button>.

Yep and sorry for the confusion.

bullant
02-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Yep and sorry for the confusion.

no problem, no harm done :)

Arbitrator
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Are there other button types besides this default one? If there is only one type of button then why add the <button type="button"> why not just <button>?The type attribute specifies the element's behavior when it appears inside a form element. As already mentioned, there are three values that specify different behaviors.

When the button element appears inside a form element, type="button" has no default behavior and essentially does nothing unless scripted events are tied to it; type="submit" submits the form (by default, form information is submitted to the location specified in the form element's action attribute); and type="reset" resets the form to its default state. (type="reset" is generally misunderstood and rarely used properly; it's supposed to be used for forms that are submitted multiple times with different data (like you would do when entering records into a database).)

Outside of a form element, all three type values (i.e., button, submit, and reset) behave like button. (That should make sense since there's nothing to submit or reset.)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum