View Full Version : Vertical Scroll Bar IE and Google Chrome

forsanmar
02-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Works fine in firefox because firefox rules all. i know i know.

Loaded it last night on some pc's and sure enough... vertical scroll bars where I dont want them. Am I stuck with them? or Is there a hack out there for IE and chrome?

www.brianapurserphotography.com/portraits.html

Much help would be appreciated. This site couldn't have been built without you all. I've learned so much in the past 2 months working on this. Thankyou again.

Excavator
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Hello again forsanmar,
FF4 has scrollbars...
So does IE9...

Since your #container has overflow, what happens when you change overflow: auto; to overflow: hidden;?

eberdome
02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
or you could try

<body style="overflow:hidden;" scroll="no">

this should get rid of scroll bar in ALL browsers!

forsanmar
02-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I want the horizontal scroll bar to access the content from side to side. I just don't want the vertical up and down one.

overflow-y=hidden; doesn't work well it doesn't validate.

overflow: hidden; gets rid of my horizontal scroll
overflow: auto; worked for fire fox but so much of what I've read has been once IE gets put into overflow there is no way around the scroll bar. I dont know.

forsanmar
02-18-2011, 09:17 PM
updated the CSS file.

Tried specifying a set height for the content boxes.
Also tried overflow-y:hidden;

Maybe it loads right now?

Can someone check. Im a mac and windows doesnt want me to download IE apparently?

eberdome
02-18-2011, 09:35 PM
well since every picture is the same size, set the height of the div until the vertical scroll bar is gone. In this case, i would plug-in a jQuery slide show! You can find a bunch here: http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/web-development/jquery-image-galleries/

eberdome
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
get rid of height in #content2 and change container height to 467px. did this help?

forsanmar
02-18-2011, 09:54 PM
I looked into that before but the client (my sister) didnt want that. I might use it for my own site though.

forsanmar
02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
not sure dont have IE. Ill test it at a buddies house shortly.

Excavator
02-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I want the horizontal scroll bar to access the content from side to side. I just don't want the vertical up and down one.

overflow-y=hidden; doesn't work well it doesn't validate.

overflow: hidden; gets rid of my horizontal scroll
overflow: auto; worked for fire fox but so much of what I've read has been once IE gets put into overflow there is no way around the scroll bar. I dont know.

Try it like this -

#container {
overflow-x: auto;
overflow-y: hidden;
left:9px;
top:113px;
width:968px;
height:465px;
position:relative;
}

That's valid CSS3 and backward compatable some ways... not sure if IE6 can do it or not.

forsanmar
02-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Hmm.. that makes sense. *crosses fingers*

Anyone running IE or Google Chrome that can test out:

Is there still a vertical (up and down) scroll bar?

Edit: works in chrome :)

How come when I validate the CSS im getting this:

57 #container Property overflow-x doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : auto auto
58 #container Property overflow-y doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in : hidden hidden

Does that mean anything?

forsanmar
02-19-2011, 07:58 AM
NVM just CSS2.1 vs CSS3. Changed the setting and I get an okay! :)

PLEASE SOME ONE LOAD THIS IN IE.

ARE THERE VERTICAL SCROLL BARS?

sorry for the all caps. i just don't know how else to express my sincere concern for this problem. lol.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum