View Full Version : Initial image very slow to load. Help appreciated.

effpeetee
02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
After tidying up my website (http://www.exitfegs.co.uk/) I notice that the initial picture of my house (23moss.jpg)takes a long time to download. It used not to be so slow.
I have been messing about trying to improve it but o no avail.
If anyone has an accelerant, I would appreciate some help.

Many thanks in advance for yor expertise.:thumbsup:

Frank:D

Stooshie
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
The problem is that the image is a 1.7 MB png file. For photographs and other images with a large amount of variation you are better to use jpgs.

It's a photo, so the original must have already been a jpg. Do you have the original? If so, resize it to the dimensions you want and the physical size on the drive (for that photo at that size) will be around 40-70 KB, I think. If not, less.

effpeetee
02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
This is the picture (http://www.exitfegs.co.uk/23moss.png)loaded directly.
It loads much faster. It is more than just its byte size.
At 85yrs old with poor eyesight, I probably have a coding error on my part,

Edit: I have reduced its' bytesize as well. It seems reasonable now.

Any reports of its download performance - welcome.

Frank.

tracknut
02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
As stooshie says, a photograph is best presented as a jpeg file, not a png. I took your png and saved is as a quality 8 (quite good, no discernible difference) jpeg and it reduced from 675 kb down to 164kb. On my broadband connection, that's a difference from 2.6 seconds to download your png to about 0.6 seconds.

I've attached the jpeg file here.

Dave

effpeetee
02-18-2011, 05:14 PM
As stooshie says, a photograph is best presented as a jpeg file, not a png. I took your png and saved is as a quality 8 (quite good, no discernible difference) jpeg and it reduced from 675 kb down to 164kb. On my broadband connection, that's a difference from 2.6 seconds to download your png to about 0.6 seconds.

I've attached the jpeg file here.

Dave
Thanks to all.

I have followed your advice and I am happy with the result.

Frank
I had the picture in several different formats. No wonder I was getting flummoxed.

Stooshie
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Glad we could help. Additionally, the reason that the image was loading faster when you directly linked to it is probably because it was cached in your browser's memory.

Anyway, I hope I'm still doing websites at 85 :-). Keep up the good work!

effpeetee
02-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Additionally, the reason that the image was loading faster when you directly linked to it is probably because it was cached in your browser's memory

NO! I always clear the cache when comparing download times. I learrned that one a long time ago.

Frank

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum