View Full Version : IT Consulting - how to get a higher cut of bill rate?

apierce
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Does anyone know of a company that pays consultants consistently during a project instead of waiting to collect from their clients first? So you don’t have to wait a couple months to finally get a paycheck…and it’d be nice if they actually paid well too – not like 20% of what they’re getting paid!

Fumigator
02-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Yeah I worked as a consultant for years (not web development), got regular paydays. I think the trick is to work for brokers who have contracts where the clients pay them regularly, not at the end of a project.

apierce
02-17-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah I worked as a consultant for years (not web development), got regular paydays. I think the trick is to work for brokers who have contracts where the clients pay them regularly, not at the end of a project.

Did they offer a reasonable % of the bill rate? 20-30% seems way too low.. What about w2 perks like insurance and 401k? That would be great!

Fumigator
02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
The more perks, the smaller your cut will be. I once had a broker (from heaven) who took only 17% (13 years ago). He's still in business and we're still friends, but I think he's closer to 30-40% now. Don't ever work with any broker who takes more than 50%!

apierce
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
The more perks, the smaller your cut will be. I once had a broker (from heaven) who took only 17% (13 years ago). He's still in business and we're still friends, but I think he's closer to 30-40% now. Don't ever work with any broker who takes more than 50%!

Any recommendations?

ShaneC
02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
As this doesn't have to do with programming PHP, I've moved your thread to Career, Job, and Business Advice.

Best of luck!

apierce
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
After some research I've found some companies – Comsys and IQ Tech Pros (http:// http://www.iqtechpros.com/Freelance/Consulting_Jobs/Best_Solution.aspx) for example – that look like they pay closer to the rates that I’m looking for. Has anyone worked with either of them?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum