PDA

View Full Version : IT Consulting - how to get a higher cut of bill rate?

apierce
02-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know of a company that pays consultants consistently during a project instead of waiting to collect from their clients first? So you don’t have to wait a couple months to finally get a paycheck…and it’d be nice if they actually paid well too – not like 20% of what they’re getting paid!

Fumigator
02-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah I worked as a consultant for years (not web development), got regular paydays. I think the trick is to work for brokers who have contracts where the clients pay them regularly, not at the end of a project.

apierce
02-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah I worked as a consultant for years (not web development), got regular paydays. I think the trick is to work for brokers who have contracts where the clients pay them regularly, not at the end of a project.

Did they offer a reasonable % of the bill rate? 20-30% seems way too low.. What about w2 perks like insurance and 401k? That would be great!

Fumigator
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
The more perks, the smaller your cut will be. I once had a broker (from heaven) who took only 17% (13 years ago). He's still in business and we're still friends, but I think he's closer to 30-40% now. Don't ever work with any broker who takes more than 50%!

apierce
02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
The more perks, the smaller your cut will be. I once had a broker (from heaven) who took only 17% (13 years ago). He's still in business and we're still friends, but I think he's closer to 30-40% now. Don't ever work with any broker who takes more than 50%!

Any recommendations?

ShaneC
02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
As this doesn't have to do with programming PHP, I've moved your thread to Career, Job, and Business Advice.

Best of luck!

apierce
03-04-2011, 08:45 PM
After some research I've found some companies – Comsys and IQ Tech Pros (http:// http://www.iqtechpros.com/Freelance/Consulting_Jobs/Best_Solution.aspx) for example – that look like they pay closer to the rates that I’m looking for. Has anyone worked with either of them?