View Full Version : adding an absolute div to fluid css

xelawho
02-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I have an annoying problem. I have a page with a google map on it that I have been changing from absolute layout to fluid css. It's going OK except for the fact that the map div would not resize when it was floated left (this is a built in part of the API) and needed a function called checkResize();

Fine. But when using that the map has to be placed in a div that has absolute positioning, otherwise it just doesn't show up.

Which isn't a huge drama, but when you make the page narrower, the items in the div above the map start disappearing under the map. I'd like for them to be able to push the map down, if possible.

I have tried wrapping the map div in a div that was floated left but that didn't work and so now I'm a little lost. Here's the page (http://www.xelawho.com/map/twocolumn.htm) I'm working on - thanks in advance for any suggestions

quartzy
02-15-2011, 02:37 AM
If you want to absolutely postion an image. Try
div{
position: absolute; top: (size); left: (size); }

Hope that is what you meant

xelawho
02-15-2011, 02:52 AM
thanks for the reply quartzy, but it's kind of the opposite to what I want - I've got it absolutely positioned now, but I don't want it to be, but the API won't display the map if it's in a div with any other kind of positioning...

I guess I'm looking for a way to wrap that absolute div in another div that can be relatively positioned - I've tried basically that, so I'm looking for some sneakier way to do it, although even typing it I realise it's a long shot.

xelawho
02-15-2011, 08:48 PM
... just in case anybody was tempted to try and figure out what was wrong here, I already solved this problem. I don't know what I was doing wrong, or really how I fixed it, but it works now, so I'm happy :thumbsup:

Jimather
02-15-2011, 11:23 PM
... just in case anybody was tempted to try and figure out what was wrong here, I already solved this problem. I don't know what I was doing wrong, or really how I fixed it, but it works now, so I'm happy :thumbsup:

Yeah I get that a lot. In a way its good but in a way very annoying too.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum