View Full Version : Prototype Trying to delay new window loads for performance

pete3652
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Hi guys - I am building an html/javascript web page and I am using prototype windows to display various stuff. I currently have 25 new prototype windows loading up when you open up the web page and as you can imagine it takes 15-20 seconds before any of the windows content begins to appear.

Does anyone know of a way to use javascript to only load say 3 new prototype windows and display them on the page and then like 5 seconds later load the next 3 and so on?

I have been messing around with this:
setTimeout("launchGroup2()", 5000);
but no luck yet. I know EJB programming but never learned much Javascript. It seems like all the functions in my .js file are executed when I include it in my html page and it doesn't return control to the browser until everything in the .js file completes executing. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advise!:confused:

venegal
02-03-2011, 05:23 PM
That's what you use events and callbacks for. If you don't know how long a window will take to load, setTimeout is a flawed approach. I don't know anything about Prototype windows, but I'm pretty sure they provide some sort of callback option to execute code once the window is loaded.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum