View Full Version : Firefox passes IE in total usage

drhowarddrfine
01-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Time for me to gloat. Some of you may still be around when, a few years ago, I said IE was doomed. Sneared and laughed at, my prediction has come true: Firefox is now the dominant browser in Europe. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/04/firefox_just_beats_internet_explorer_europe_market_share/)

I first predicted this when IE's market share was over 90%. Worldwide it's just under 60% today and falling.

Apostropartheid
01-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Time for me to gloat. Some of you may still be around when, a few years ago, I said IE was doomed. Sneared and laughed at, my prediction has come true: Firefox is now the dominant browser in Europe. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/04/firefox_just_beats_internet_explorer_europe_market_share/)

I first predicted this when IE's market share was over 90%. Worldwide it's just under 60% today and falling.

Wait, what? You're back? Yay!

Fumigator
01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I can't remember anyone sneering.

oracleguy
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Neither can I.

Having IE6 go the way the dinosaur is one of the reasons I think people shouldn't be using Windows XP anymore.

jasonbird
01-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Im always using FF in the past 5 yrs...

Good browser

Kiren
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Not surprising at all, Mozilla is better in every way.

Kiren
01-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Only now when compared to Firefix, but I don;t recall it happening before, not that I was really paying attention to it.

sarenarichard
01-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Almost 60 percent users are using firefox because of its compatibleness and reliability.

Krupski
01-26-2011, 05:09 AM

If people knew how much swearing, grief and gray hairs MSIE has caused (and still causes) web developers, it's market share would drop to 0.

savantcreative
02-06-2011, 05:07 PM

That is great news:) Sadly I work for the US market. Check out their stats at statcounter :( I still know people using ie 6

Brandoe85
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
lol Europe

VIPStephan
02-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Got anything to say about Europe?

Apostropartheid
02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
lol Europe

Bring it, American!

Brandoe85
02-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Bring it, American!
:D Us here American has good smarts n stuffs we rules IE's!

jesicawillss
02-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Mozilla Firefox is the good one. Not very much surprising.

georgerogers
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
With the option to download other browsers on your windows desktop microsoft is losing its dominancy over browsers

bullant
03-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Maybe just in Europe and only by a smidge.

According to netmarketshare (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0)(globally)

MSIE = 56.7%

Firefox = 21.7%

and then the rest of them.

drhowarddrfine
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe just in Europe and only by a smidge.He died. And only by a smidge.

You ignore the fact that IE has been losingmarket share almost every month for six years and once owned 95% of the market. It's falling still. Developer's despise it and no one lets friends use IE.

bullant
03-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm not ignoring anything at all.

I'm just highlighting that according to the source in the link you posted FF is infront by only a very tiny amount in Europe only and that according to netmarketshare IE still has more than double FF's market share globally.

If FF passes IE globally sometime in the future is of no interest, let alone consequence, to me at all because both are included in the browsers I support in any commercial websites I build - IE, FF, Opera, Safari and Chrome.

drhowarddrfine
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
If FF passes IE globally sometime in the future is of no interest, let alone consequence, to me at all
They are of incredible consequence to you. IE makes your job harder. It also holds back the web by not giving you the features and abilities all other browsers have had for years, thus limiting your ability to use or offer such features. It's ineptness also means you constantly need to test and find solutions for why IE doesn't handle things as all other browsers do. If it weren't for IE, every developer's job would be easier. Please don't say it's of no consequence!

bullant
03-02-2011, 11:04 PM
They are of incredible consequence to you. IE makes your job harder

This is not true in my case. I build commercial websites ranging from plain static websites to database driven e-commerce websites. I use validated xhtml and validated css and I have no problems with IE7+ (I don't support earlier versions anymore) or any other of the major browsers.

If you use validated (x)html/css the chances of having browser compatibility issues is very minimal in my experience.

If you experience problems with IE7+, then so be it. That is not my problem. All I can say is that using valid code I don't have any issues with any of the major browsers.

drhowarddrfine
03-02-2011, 11:54 PM
This is not true in my case. I build commercial websites ranging from plain static websites to database driven e-commerce websites.As do I.
I use validated xhtml and validated css and I have no problems with IE7+ (I don't support earlier versions anymore) or any other of the major browsers.Then your sites are simplistic and/or don't use javascript or write to the DOM or use SVG or....do I really have to go through all this?

If you use validated (x)html/css the chances of having browser compatibility issues is very minimal in my experience.IE7 is 13 years behind all other browsers in modern standards and practices. Try serving your XHTML as XHTML and see how far you get. And then IE9 will be better? No chance. See my links below.

bullant
03-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Then your sites are simplistic and/or don't use javascript or write to the DOM or use SVG or..

"simplistic" is a relative term and what is simple for me could be difficult for you and "vicky-vercky", so unless you define simplistic with a benchmark your comment means zero to me.

You're entitled to an opinion just like everyone else but you seem to be struggling with the fact that not everyone using validated (x)html/css has significant problems with browsers.

I use xhtml strict only because in conjunction with my Java (not javascript) programming in a "previous life" I like the rigidity of the xhtml syntax rules - nothing more, nothing less. I serve the pages as html though. I also use javascript and php extensively along with MySQL when I need a database.

Now if you think all I have posted is a load of rubbish then so be it, because I don't see how whether you believe anything I post is true or not can possibly be of consequence to me, so we can agree to disagree.

I can only make comments/observations based on my experience over the years :)

drhowarddrfine
03-03-2011, 01:44 PM
You're entitled to an opinion just like everyoneExcept my "opinion" is well known, provable and verifiable. ALL versions of IE are the worst on the planet and incapable of rendering "same code" as other browsers. Microsoft's big push right now is running "same code" as others (their quote). Yes, you can get valid markup to work the same in all browsers but doing that consistently and without having to adjust for IEs multitude of quirks and bugs is impossible with anything but the simplest of layouts.

Why the simplest? Start with my second link below and compare IE7, or ANY of the IE browsers, to ANY of the others and tell me again that you can use the same markup and code consistently.

You can't. It's impossible. IE fails across the board.

bullant
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Except my "opinion" is well known, provable and verifiable. ALL versions of IE are the worst on the planet and incapable of rendering "same code" as other browsers.

I don't accept you are telling the truth. If for some reason it is important to you that I believe you, then the onus of proof is on you to post evidence supporting your view.

I'm not trying to change your view at all and you're certainly not going to change mine in the absence of posting verifiable proof.

I don't have any issues with any of the major browser so, like I said, we can agree to disagree :)

Fumigator
03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Bullant... welcome to the DrDr Vortex of Doom. It's a well-known phenomenon around here, and can strike without warning. Don't waste your breath-- DrDr is a true zealot and cannot be argued with. You and I both know that IE7+ is an adequate browser and doesn't contain the pitfalls that IE6- did, but some people become so entrenched in a belief system, there is no way they'll ever dig out. If IE became an exact replica of FF, DrDr would still hate it based on principle.

Hating IE/M$ is a religion for some.

drhowarddrfine
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't accept you are telling the truth. If for some reason it is important to you that I believe you, then the onus of proof is on you to post evidence supporting your view.
Like Fumigator's post, and most people on this forum do, you show you have no interest in following the links I've already given or refuse to believe what you read. It's the reason I once said I would never come back to this place again.* Of course, you'll not find any articles from any developer worth their salt to disagree with anything I've said.

* So what brings me back? Bought another house and am painting this one to put it up for sale. I'm doing the whole house so it will take a while. I don't mind painting and sometimes find it relaxing but, when I get bored, I start surfing the web.

I've stopped coding for my company and let employees do that. At least for now. Thinking of selling it to them and retiring but I'm not the retiring type and far too young to do nothing.

drhowarddrfine
03-03-2011, 07:51 PM
If IE became an exact replica of FF, DrDr would still hate it based on principle.Let me know when that happens and let's talk. Otherwise, you think you know me.

Hating IE/M$ is a religion for some.Know the truth and the truth will set you free. Otherwise, you're just a Microsoft sock puppet.

Brandoe85
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
chevy > ford
mcdonalds > burger king
target > walmart
mt dew > coke
nfl > soccer
summer > winter
the old schmuck who built my house > whoever built yours

any respectable software developer knows this. It is the truth, if you have any doubts google links until it tells you so, it will set you free.

bullant
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM
.....you show you have no interest in following the links I've already given or refuse to believe what you read.

I'm not sure what your issue is here. Is it important to you that since you seem to have issues with IE that I and everyone else must then also have issues with IE?

In my original post in this thread I posted

Maybe just in Europe and only by a smidge.

According to netmarketshare (http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0)(globally)

MSIE = 56.7%

Firefox = 21.7%

and then the rest of them.

and you haven't posted anything that proves those numbers are even remotely innacurate.

In a reply to another of your posts I said

I'm not ignoring anything at all.

I'm just highlighting that according to the source in the link you posted FF is infront by only a very tiny amount in Europe only and that according to netmarketshare IE still has more than double FF's market share globally.

If FF passes IE globally sometime in the future is of no interest, let alone consequence, to me at all because both are included in the browsers I support in any commercial websites I build - IE, FF, Opera, Safari and Chrome.

And again you haven't posted anything that proves even remotely that my view is not correct.

I write validated xhtml, css and use javascript, php and MySQL where required and I have no significant issues with any of the major browsers.

As I posted earlier, I am not trying to change your view of IE and I am certainly not going to change my posted views above unless you can post verifiable proof showing anything I posted is not true

In the mean time, like I posted earlier, we can agree to disagree :)

Hi Fumigator - thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Bullant... welcome to the DrDr Vortex of Doom. It's a well-known phenomenon around here, and can strike without warning. Don't waste your breath-- DrDr is a true zealot and cannot be argued with. You and I both know that IE7+ is an adequate browser and doesn't contain the pitfalls that IE6- did, but some people become so entrenched in a belief system, there is no way they'll ever dig out. If IE became an exact replica of FF, DrDr would still hate it based on principle.

Hating IE/M$ is a religion for some.

People like drhowarddrfine are fine by me. I don't have any issues with them since they are entitled to an opinion just like you, I and everyone else.

But in my experience, whenever I ask them to provide verifiable proof that any of my views are not correct, no-one has been able to do so. I'm not trying to change anyone's views here.

I'm just not going to change mine until I am proven incorrect and shown why all of a sudden I must have issues with IE just because someone else has issues with IE.

drhowarddrfine
03-04-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure what your issue is here. Is it important to you that since you seem to have issues with IE that I and everyone else must then also have issues with IE?You are stating there are no issues with IE but this is blatantly false. That is the issue

In my original post in this thread I posted
and you haven't posted anything that proves those numbers are even remotely innacurate.I don't contest them. Where do I say they are inaccurate or false?

As I posted earlier, I am not trying to change your view of IE and I am certainly not going to change my posted views above unless you can post verifiable proof showing anything I posted is not trueUntil you learn how to click on the links and read and understand what I linked to, there's not much point of discussing this further. This is the second or third time I've pointed that out.

But in my experience, whenever I ask them to provide verifiable proof that any of my views are not correct, no-one has been able to do so.Did you click on my links? Did you read them? I asked you to do this twice, iirc. Are you ignoring me?

bullant
03-04-2011, 12:48 AM
You are stating there are no issues with IE but this is blatantly false.

Now you are resorting to telling blatant lies and I have taken a screen dump of your post and put it on my website to warn others of who to watch out for if they choose to visit these forums.

What I said was that I have no significant issues with any of the major browsers.

Post the thread number where you claim I made the statement in your post.

Resorting to telling lies like you have is the typical reaction, in my experience over the years, from those who struggle to cope with people having different views to them.

Where do I say they are inaccurate or false?

I never said you did say they were false.

Until you learn how to click on the links and read and understand what I linked to, there's not much point of discussing this further.

The only links I have seen refer to IE9. If there are others, then I have missed seeing them. If you are referring to the IE9 links, they are of no interest to me at all because IE9 has not been officially released yet. When it is, I will have a look at it.

In the mean time I will continue to support IE7+, FF2+, OP10+, and the latest versions of Safari for Windows and Chrome for my commercial work and as I stated earlier, I have no significant issues with any of them.

I am not trying to change anyones' views here.

So we can just continue to agree to disagree :)

drhowarddrfine
03-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Now you are resorting to telling blatant lies...

What I said was that I have no significant issues with any of the major browsers.
And what I said is you said you have no issues with IE but, except for the word "significant", it's a lie? Please explain that one? Again you show a lack of reading comprehension.

I never said you did say they were false.Then why are you asking me to respond to your statements they are correct?! You make no sense!

The only links I have seen refer to IE9. If there are others, then I have missed seeing them.Your inability to use the web, links and this forum shows what your problem is. A complete lack of understanding of how things work. You can't see two links I directly pointed you to. No wonder you can't see the problems cause you can't see or read!

No. I'm done with you. You're toast.

bullant
03-04-2011, 05:22 AM
You posted that I stated

there are no issues with IE

which I did not say and so what you posted is a blatant lie.

I asked you to post the post number where you claim I made that statement and you haven't done so because it does not exist.

What I actually said was

I have no significant issues with any of them.

I have labelled you a blatant liar on my website, for the reasons I posted earlier, and I posted a screen dump of your post to prove it and a link to this thread and my visitors can make up their own minds. If you feel defamed or slandered by my response to your lie, then feel free to try to find some judicial authority who also won't sit back with their feet up and laugh at your attempt at back peddling and sue me. I can't be any fairer than that :)

I also posted why I chose to not waste my time reading about IE9 because it is of no interest to me until it is officially released.

drhowarddrfine
03-04-2011, 05:43 AM
What I actually said wasWow. What a significant difference.

I have labelled you a blatant liar on my websiteOoh! After six years of doing this on many forums, you think that bothers me? I'm all over the place so don't act like someone actually reads your blog. I mean, even the developers at Microsoft know me so who cares what you post.

I also posted why I chose to not waste my time reading about IE9 because it is of no interest to me until it is officially released.
Again you show your incompetence and inability to understand what links are, how to use them, how to read them, or understand what you've read. You are inept at best and a bumbler, just like IE.

bullant
03-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Thank you for the character reference ;)

As I said, I posted a copy of your blatant lie on my website along with supporting evidence proving it and my visitors can make up their own mind and whether it bothers you or not is of no interest to me because I don't know or care who you really are.

I'm not sure what point you are making about the MS developers knowing you because I can't verify if it is another lie or not so the comment, to me at least, is redundant :)

oesxyl
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
chevy > ford
mcdonalds > burger king
target > walmart
mt dew > coke
nfl > soccer
summer > winter

any respectable software developer knows this. It is the truth, if you have any doubts google links until it tells you so, it will set you free.
that means progress is matter of taste or opinion?

best regards

Kor
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM
that means progress is matter of taste or opinion?
...maybe that means progress is independent of taste or opinion :)

oesxyl
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
...maybe that means progress is independent of taste or opinion :)
now i'm happy, :) i will wait untill all this stupid browsers will vanish, :)

best regards

Fumigator
03-04-2011, 06:06 PM
chevy > ford
mcdonalds > burger king
target > walmart
mt dew > coke
nfl > soccer
summer > winter

King of non-sequiturs!

I'd like to refine your list if I may...

mt dew > everything
everything > walmart
lowes > home depot
football > soccer > hockey > basketball > tennis > beach volleyball > baseball
wendys > everything
everyone > the idiots who built my house :(
newegg > amazon
COBOL > Java
US of A > Libya

Kor
03-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Human Stupidity>Universe (thanks, Einstein! :) )

oesxyl
03-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Human Stupidity>Universe (thanks, Einstein! :) )
this is simple, just push the blue button from the bottom of his post, :)

best regards

jelo4
03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
FF is getting better and better, but IE is still fighting up to now and has developed a new version that is kind of tempting to switch up with.

forumfa
03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Doesn't surpirse me at all, Firefox is great.

kungfukid
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I use firefox. but I ran chrome a little and WOW that one is fast. probably all my firefox plugins slow it down...safari for pc is super fast now too.

I used to use microsoft browsers but only to check compatibility. but now you don't need to anymore because firefox has plugins that will simulate IE for you to check compatibility without having to run IE at all, ever.

forumfa
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
@kungfukid: After reading your post I tried out chrome and it really is faster. I also like the translator add. However, I somehow prefer the design of firefox.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum