View Full Version : Firefox won't display video without Classid, but that's not valid.

pxlcreations
12-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Here's my dilemma, I am trying to validate my website for HTML5 and I have a couple of .mov files playing. Firefox won't display these videos unless I use classid but that's not HTML5 as it is obsolete. What can I do to get this to validate?

Excavator
12-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Hello pxlcreations,
Lots of people running into the same thing - http://www.google.com/search?q=classid+html5&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

The general concensus seems to be that HTML5 is still evolving and to go ahead and use classid if that's what works.

pxlcreations
12-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Ok, guess I'll just have to wait.

MattF
12-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Ok, guess I'll just have to wait.

Validation is a means to make sure that your code is compatible with as many UA's as possible. It's not the be all and end all though. There's absolutely no point in not using something just because it's not technically valid, as long as it has no detrimental effect on how the output renders. Whilst we all prefer to have 100% valid code, trying to achieve that on a work in progress spec whilst retaining functionality is always going to be like hitting a moving target. Use it and forget whether it's valid or not. The moment that functionality has to suffer due to validity is the day that validation becomes worthless.

pxlcreations
12-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I meant I'll just have to wait until they allow ClassID into HTML5 validation, I'm using it anyways, not going to make firefox users not view the videos.

eberdome
12-19-2010, 07:08 AM
to avoid classid, try dynamic swf publishing, this way is easier, less code, and In my opinion, alot better way of embedding swfs

http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/documentation

eberdome
12-19-2010, 07:14 AM
nevermind, scratch that. it's late and for some reason though you were talking about embedding swf. carry on!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum