View Full Version : Mock ups?

mikehende
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM
When a potential client asks for "mock ups" what is involved here please? You have to show them a template? I don;t see if you're building from scratch hwy you would take all that time to put a site together then they dissaprove? How do you guys handle this?

yakoup46
12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
There just that, Mock Ups. They don't have to be full scale templates with detailed graphics, thats a psd. From my experience with clients they are just rough sketches of where stuff is going to be positioned, and possibly how the page is going to flow. If they are looking for detailed pages with graphics, etc. then they better be paying you for design, and development. :thumbsup:
Hope this helps.

mikehende
12-13-2010, 10:05 PM
From my experience with clients they are just rough sketches of where stuff is going to be positioned, and possibly how the page is going to flow. .

Yes, that helps! Can you ell me how you would provide what's written above please? Do you 'tell" them what you are planning to do or do you show them some sort of draft? If the latter, how do you do this?

yakoup46
12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Well I guess the question I must first ask is did they hire you as the designer, or the developer? (or both)? While im waiting for a response ill draft up something quick as an example

teedoff
12-13-2010, 10:15 PM
This can be done several ways Mike. Was it you who had mentioned you were very familiar with photoshop? I thought it was you, if so you can create a mock up with PS.

If you google mock-ups, there are tons of programs that will help you do them as well. Dreamweaver can be used, so can Illustrator, and fireoworks. There are I'm sure open source software as well.

mikehende
12-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Well no, I am asking if someone in the future should ask me to do a mock up I wish to have an answer which will ge tme the job WITHOUT doing the mockup.

It certainly wasn't me who said I was good at PS. I purchased CS5 fully intending on learning it but after my first issue with "removing backgrounds from images without erasing" I said no more. Now I simply purchase images from Istockphoto or dreamstime e.t.c and if I need logos, banners or stlyed anything I have someone create them for me. I had tried everything to learn PS, I joined Adobe and other forums, purchased tutorials, advertsied on Craigslist and other forums to PAY someone to teach me in a step by step manner how to do the above and guess what? NOTHING!

yakoup46
12-13-2010, 10:25 PM
This is something i would give to a client... Well not that exactly its rather sloppy. But the point is to just make an "outline" or multiple ones and if they approve then start working on the graphics.

http://cl.ly/1p1Q0p0e2P1E013A152M

Hope this helps.

mikehende
12-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes, I would like to do something like that, keeping it simple, which software did you use for that? I am wondering if it can be done in Open Ofiice?

teedoff
12-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Yes, I would like to do something like that, keeping it simple, which software did you use for that? I am wondering if it can be done in Open Ofiice?

I told you, you can do something like that in many programs. You can make it as simple as the example given, or you can make it a little more complex. Depends on how bad you want the work I guess...lol

You seem to be wanting to "get" jobs without actually having to do the learning and work that comes along with these kind of jobs. lol I mean you said you wanted to be hired WITHOUT having to do a mock-up, yet if the client asks you to do one, then you should be able and willing to do one. Its rather like a building contractor trying to bid on a building project. Sure there may be quite a bit of leg work and initial figuring on materials and prices, and sure most of this work is done for free, but thats part of it. I've never known a builder "get" work without doing the initial work to actually get the job.

mikehende
12-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Well, my main job is Pc/Laptop repair/upgrade Tech and I am now trying to get into the web programming and as I've mentioned here before not web design, I am simply learning about design as much as I can just to get the knowledge. The way I run my repair/upgrade business is like this, as Mike Meyers said, which is better for a customer, to hire a tech who can be efficient and get the job done quickly effectively 'by hwatever means" or hire a tech who will take weeks to figure out a problem by himself?

That is the principle I cary with me so where web designing is concerned, I have graphics people who do all of my work, this way I get it professionally done and of course things get done much faster so to answer to your remark, no I am not seeking shortcuts, I simply wish to become a programmer and like many programmers told me before I started on this journey, learn what you will need for your trade and not waste time on anything else.

yakoup46
12-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Will all do respect teedoff as far as I'm concerned thats not exactly right. I am 95% developer and 5% designer and I get jobs just fine. However, by the same token Mike if you plan do this alone then teedoff is correct you will need to develop these skills. I work with a small team and we have a designer so he does all that work. I've obviously picked up some skills tho.

Good Luck.

oh p.s. I used Gimp for the mock up

mikehende
12-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I have just said that I have graphics people to do all graphics work for me [just like you] therefore no need for me to learn PS and especially since I too plan on programming then no need for it just like you but I understand teedoff's viewpoint where learning PS would definitely be an asset but man I have tried and tried to get someone to teach me PS stuff, even offered to pay for it but simply cannot get the help I need

yakoup46
12-13-2010, 11:33 PM
I hate PS so I don't blame you. I can help you in Gimp if you would like.?

mikehende
12-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Absolutely, I would like to learn how to put together what you have done not only for any potential future client to be honest but for myself when deciding on how I am going to put a page together, will come in very handy.

yakoup46
12-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Well if you get TeamSpeak you can join our channel
Address: mindynamics.com
Port: 9987

Let me know

mikehende
12-13-2010, 11:59 PM
ok but first let me try Open Office Draw in the next 2 days and I have done some flyers there already, will post something here to seeif it can be done there, if not then I'll try Gimp, thanks, get back to you.

yakoup46
12-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Or aim or something so we can talk by some other means that the forum. :thumbsup:

teedoff
12-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Well no, I am asking if someone in the future should ask me to do a mock up I wish to have an answer which will ge tme the job WITHOUT doing the mockup.

I was specifically responding to the above statement made by the OP. Yes I too am very limited on graphics and styling experience and expertise. I was merely saying that IF you are trying to get webdesign work, you will need to provide a mock-up IF the client requests one. Sure you can pay someone to do this as well, but if you keep saying well I'll just pay someone to do this, or I'll just pay someone to do this, pretty soon you're: 1) doing NONE of the work yourself, and 2) probably not going to make muich money since your subbing everything out to ppl who can actually perform the work.

Maybe you should think about meeting someone who could do the graphics end of the work while you can concentrate on the coding end, provided thats more of your area.

mikehende
12-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Oh, I see now, I thought you were saying that I have to learn PS to do the mockup, to clarify, no I will not ever pay someone to do a mock up for me, I will simply do a basic draft like what yakouk46 has designed, all right, we're all on the same page.

teedoff
12-14-2010, 01:31 AM
Oh, I see now, I thought you were saying that I have to learn PS to do the mockup, to clarify, no I will not ever pay someone to do a mock up for me, I will simply do a basic draft like what yakouk46 has designed, all right, we're all on the same page.

Right. And with that said, and since you may in the future need to create mock ups, and since these mock ups can be done in PS, and since creating these mock ups in PS are very basic, lol then that would be a great way to learn PS without having to learn the more advanced features.

But again, mock ups/wire frames can be done in many many programs. So choose the one thats easiest and most available to you.

mikehende
12-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Well not that exactly its rather sloppy. But the point is to just make an "outline" or multiple ones and if they approve then start working on the graphics.

http://cl.ly/1p1Q0p0e2P1E013A152M

Hope this helps.

Hey, the header text in your attached docs, how can I do that?

yakoup46
12-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Oh ha thats just a font. Gimp is pretty awesome. If you dont like PS then you will like Gimp. At least thats how I was. In my opinion it has the power of PS and is much more simple.

mikehende
12-15-2010, 02:24 AM
If you look at the nav tabs here:

http://www.vip-consult.co.uk/articles/all

I would like to do that myself, same size tabs with same size text but have my own images, I am trying in PS to do but as usual you have to be a freakin rocket scientist to figure out that #@#%%#$$ software. Can those tabs be done in Gimp?

yakoup46
12-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Oh yeah definitely. To create those images in Gimp, well the little ones like the wrench and screw driver would be somewhat difficult, but the paper with the sticky behind it would be pretty easy. The wrench and other little images are most likely drawn and scanned in. Like I said you can get on our channel and we can IM there.

mikehende
12-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Alright, I have installed Gimp and Teamspeak, ready to learn how to create a header title as in your file, how can we start please?

yakoup46
12-26-2010, 05:04 AM
If u have teamspeak installed the details are

Theres no password.

Just stop by and we can get started.

mikehende
12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Don't understand? Are you saying I should add the details you've provided above into TS? If yes then were, under "Settings->Identities->Add"?

agxphoto
12-26-2010, 04:25 PM
When a potential client asks for "mock ups" what is involved here please?

Back when, if you were going to sell someone an ad, they would receive a paper drawing with tracing paper overlays showing how the ad would be laid out.

A mockup is a drawing that shows the overall plan of layout and design for the ad.

It's the same kind of sketch that you should probably be doing before you start coding; it's not just a description of what's decided, it's a tool for making group decisions about how the ad or layout will look.

Nowadays, it's actually tougher to achieve this with web design because it can take a lot of constraints to get an ad to appear consistently across browsers and computers. Really, big sections of the web design process will involve building independently designed parts; this is a radical change in thinking in the designing part; size and shape are important, but location can't be accurately specified in computer graphics: that is, unless a very rigid design plan is put in place, which will mean that the design will end up with hardware limitations. Usually this is accepted as a risk, and location specific designs (like web pages where everything is a specified, absolute dimension or requiring a specific graphics plugin) will be aimed for whatever is perceived as above average for the target audience, with the risk just accepted among others.

The mockup is a drawing that shows your plan for displaying the web page.

yakoup46
12-26-2010, 04:44 PM
No no. There should be a connections tab as well.

mikehende
12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
So when I open Connections should I put YOUR detials in there or with my detials already in there click connect? If the latter what then?

Shoot2Kill
12-26-2010, 06:36 PM
This may help you: http://tserverhq.com/support/guides/55-teamspeak3/128-how-to-connect-to-a-teamspeak3-server

yakoup46
12-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Put the details I gave you in there. Once in the channel my handle is Jay_Hamma, right click on me and poke so I can give you chat privlages

yakoup46
12-26-2010, 10:29 PM
If you would like to chat through some other medium until we can get TS setup let me know.

mikehende
12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
If u have teamspeak installed the details are

Theres no password.

Just stop by and we can get started.

It'sa sking for a Nickname?

mikehende
12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I think we better go with skype, whiole we are on skype then we can complete the Teamspeak, my Skype hanlde is mikehende2

yakoup46
12-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Ill be on Skype in a few minutes. DL it now. I reset comp so id had too DL.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum