View Full Version : Javascript timeout mouseover

xtree
12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
I am a Javascript novice so please bear with me here. I made a multi level menu at http://x7.ro/proiect/produse.html -first left menu item:Raticide- by using Javascript and css. What this should do is show the sub-menu on mouseover and hide it on mouseout WITH a custom delay so people have a chance to click menu items. This seems to work except for the all needed delay. I was trying to use javascript setTimeout function but I cannot seem to make it work. Think this should be easy for a pro and Id remain indebted if any of you could help. Thanks a lot.

Below is the working code:JS and Html.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>
function showElement(layer){
var myLayer = document.getElementById(layer);
if(myLayer.style.display=="none"){
myLayer.style.display="block";
myLayer.backgroundPosition="top";
} else {
myLayer.style.display="none";
}
}
function hideElement(layer){
var myLayer = document.getElementById(layer);
if(myLayer.style.display=="block"){
myLayer.style.display="none";
myLayer.backgroundPosition="top";
} else {
myLayer.style.display="block";
}
}
</SCRIPT>

<A class=button onMouseOver="javascript:showElement('v-menu');return false;" onMouseOut="javascript:hideElement('v-menu');return false;" href="#"><SPAN>Raticide</SPAN></A>
<UL style="DISPLAY: none" id=v-menu class=v-menu>
<LI><A href="aaa.html">PRODIORAT</A></LI>
<LI><A href="aaa.html"> PROBRODIRAT</A></LI></UL>

Philip M
12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
<A class=button onMouseOver="setTimeout(\"showElement('v-menu')\",5000); return false"; onMouseOut="setTimeout(\"hideElement('v-menu')\", 5000); return false"; href="#"><SPAN>Raticide</SPAN></A>

5000 = 5000 milliseconds = 5 seconds.

All advice is supplied packaged by intellectual weight, and not by volume. Contents may settle slightly in transit.

xtree
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
It doesnt do it for me. The 'Raticide' remains frozen with that code (does nothing on either mouse event). Thanks tho.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum