View Full Version : What can I do with long text

quartzy
12-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I have a website that I am working on, and on 5 of the pages, I have lots of long text, which are AGM meetings, it looks wrong and is hard to read. Is there any way I can style it, to make it look better? Any ideas? www.leeoasis.org.uk/agm-2008.html

abduraooft
12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/leeoasis.org.uk says
http://leeoasis.org.uk looks down from here

quartzy
12-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry the site is changing servers right now, so that must be what happened. But any ideas regardless?

agxphoto
12-12-2010, 04:35 PM
If the text is long because it's a transcript of one person is speaking for a long time, then maybe blockquotes are the answer. Anytime a quotation would run over three lines in a regular paper-printed work, it'd be common to switch over to a formatting that's block-quoted.

quartzy
12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
What it is: is an AGM Report, but the minutes are not laid out correctly, so it is just one long text. I have added hyperlinks to break it up but am stuck for ideas. I thought maybe making it two columns but I dont know really what to do.

abduraooft
12-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Please let's know when your site is up, or post your html+CSS here

quartzy
12-13-2010, 02:41 PM
The site is now up and runniong. What I have done is make the div smaller so the text is easier to read, and that's about all I know what to do with it. Yet to upload the new amendments.

SB65
12-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Doesn't look too bad to be honest. You could try changing the text-align to justify which makes the paragraphs look a little more obvious and breaks the mass of text up a little. Very cosmetic I know, but you could also add some coloure bullets, maybe green to match your heading to the two bulleted lists, which again would add a little visual interest an break it up a little.

teedoff
12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
You also have a couple of bulleted lists that kinda gets buried with the rest of the text, hard to see, for me anyway. Maybe you could indent the lists a bit and add some space between them and the surrounding paragraphs.

I like the green bullet ideas for the lists SB suggested. Something visual to keep the reader interested.

quartzy
12-13-2010, 03:17 PM
OK if it does not look too bad then I will go with that, as I say I have reduced the page width but not yet uploaded and made small green bullets. Think I am satisfied now, I just hate to read long pieces of text on the web and feel others would too. Thanks for your help anyway.

SB65
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
At the end of the day, if your visitors are interested in what happened at the AGM, they'll read it whatever it looks like, within reason. If they're not interested, they won't read it however nice it looks. Content is everything...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum