View Full Version : does commented-out content \* *\ add to retrieval time?

ptrcao
12-10-2010, 05:53 PM
suppose I had 60 lines of comments in style sheet and in html pages. Will it make a noticeable difference to retrieval time?

Excavator
12-10-2010, 05:55 PM
huh... you decide - http://www.google.com/search?q=comment+css+load+times&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Apostropartheid
12-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Although that normally works, Excavator, I don't believe those results specifically answer the question, though you could get there with some inference.

By far the longest part of a page loading time nowadays is the HTTP request; the transfer of data is normally so minuscule it is negligible. So long as you don't plan to triple or quadruple the size of your document with these comments, you should be fine.

Excavator
12-11-2010, 12:24 AM
I don't believe those results specifically answer the question, though you could get there with some inference.

Yes, that's why I didn't say one way or the other.

My own thoughts on the subject we pretty much what you just said, that a few comments in the CSS file are not a big factor in load times ... but I had nothing to back that up with.

Apostropartheid
12-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Yes, that's why I didn't say one way or the other.

My own thoughts on the subject we pretty much what you just said, that a few comments in the CSS file are not a big factor in load times ... but I had nothing to back that up with.

Fair enough, I just thought you were a bit grumpy today. :p

Excavator
12-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Fair enough, I just thought you were a bit grumpy today. :p

Also fair. I have been a bit grumpy lately...

I'm working on that.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum