View Full Version : Build a search engine that displays homepages instead of site discriptions

leavead
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Image a new search engine, when you typein keyword and click search buttom, it comes out a list of sites instead of links.

User don't need to click every link from google/yahoo/bing to see the sites anymore, could save a lot of time.

How's the idea? Can you code it? Please give me a quote.

leavead
12-06-2010, 12:55 AM
95 views not one reply!

Is this coding project too hard to be done?

Please give me a clue, thanks!

randi2kewl
12-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Google now has this functionality. Do a search with Google then scroll over the magnifying glass to the right. Good idea, but about 2 weeks too late.

leavead
12-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks for your input!

I am thinking a engine that displays ten websites on one page not ten links. Better yet, the engine automaticlly show serached sites one by one like a streaming display of sites and you click the one you want to visit.

The pc speed will get faster enough for this to function right I think.

How do you think? Thanks again.

randi2kewl
12-06-2010, 03:02 AM
How about if you let the person flip through the pages being searched using like a frame at the top from the search and you can next and previous through all of the result webpages getting the full page instead of just a snapshot of the top of the page.

leavead
12-06-2010, 06:04 AM
How about if you let the person flip through the pages being searched using like a frame at the top from the search and you can next and previous through all of the result webpages getting the full page instead of just a snapshot of the top of the page.

That is just about what I mean. Sorry for my poor English and web knowledge.

Can you code this engine? How you think about the basic idea? If it's viable, I plan to name it hafind.com.

Thanks in advance.

leavead
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Here's an example of the engine, if you search for gold, the result page will look like this http://hafind.com/1.html

I only put 3 sites on one page, it could be more. When you move the page up and streaming the sites, click the one you are interested and you will see that site in a new window as normal engine. This is a demo, no header and footer but you'll get the idea.

Sure there are flows but the basic idea is a engine displays sites instead of text/links.

Some feedbacks please, I am pretty exited about the idea.

leavead
12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Guys, how about a little honest feedbacks?

Thanks and have a great cold day! Global warming my ***.

bcarl314
12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Interesting idea. I would think a more iTunes like interface of flipping through a slideshow would be the ideal interface. The real trick is giving the users enough data to make a decision on what result is best for them, while giving them enough of the design to know what site they're going to.

That said, your two biggest obstacles will be...

1) Server / Disk space. You'll need to scrap the web with bots, and store search results in your own system. That will take a lot of server power. This is by far the biggest issue to overcome.

2) Search algorithm - creating a program that inteprets user intent accurately and displaying the best results will be your second biggest issue.

Both of the above will cost hundreds of thousands to get started. You might be able to build a Proof of concept for a few thousand, but don't expect any success until you iron out number 1 above.

leavead
12-07-2010, 01:31 AM
bcar,

Deeply appreciate your input! Warmed up my heart.

I am a dreamer. Wish I have your web talent.

I wonder why big SEs didn't make it happen yet. They have all the tools you talked.

If we can watch games on tv why need radio? Think about high speed and touch/voice screen pc, why we still need to click SE links one by one to surf the net.

Think about near future, you goto hafind search for flower, it takes data from google/yahoo/bing and put all listed sites in a slidshow. You control the speed and goto the site you like.

In that way, seems we don't need a lot space but fast speed. Seems legal too. We didin't copy SEs content. How do you think?

I don't have the $ but if the idea is good enough, VCs are out there, will you think about to give it a shot?

Anyway, nice talk with you. have a good one!

Fumigator
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
You will need a helluva lot more detail/specific plans/market analysis than what you have (not to mention a crack team of wiz kids signed up) to even make a VC turn a head, let alone give you $$. And, you'll have to be able to explain why you think you can go up against Google and have a prayer.

Not to mention, if your idea catches on even remotely, Google can and will quickly adapt its search engine to provide similar capabilities, making your start-up redundant. They did that to counter some innovations Bing brought to the table. Bing hasn't been able to steal much of the market share.

I really can't think of any segment of the world wide web I'd want to compete against LESS than the almighty Google search engine.

bcarl314
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Not to mention, if your idea catches on even remotely, Google can and will quickly adapt its search engine to provide similar capabilities, making your start-up redundant. They did that to counter some innovations Bing brought to the table. Bing hasn't been able to steal much of the market share.

I really can't think of any segment of the world wide web I'd want to compete against LESS than the almighty Google search engine.

Ah, but there's a catch to that, at least in the US.

IF you have a start up, and a patent, google's hands are pretty much bound. One exit strategy would be to force a buyout (of the patent rights) which could be a nice sum, or sue them for patent infringement a la RIM. Both can be very successful strategies. Additionally, if it's a paid service, googles dominant position works against them. There are laws forbidding large companies from simply obliterating competition, especially companies with significant market share.

While google does have a strangle hold, it doesn't mean they're above the law. Startups have every right to try something new if someone else doesn't create it first. See facebook vs. my space.

Fumigator
12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Very true. I do wonder how difficult it would be to secure a patent for this kind of idea though. There have been some pretty lame patents enforced in the courts (One I remember is a piece software reads input from any source, and outputs data to any source-- that's about as specific as it got-- which describes just about everything) so it is probably possible.

oracleguy
12-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Ah, but there's a catch to that, at least in the US.

IF you have a start up, and a patent, google's hands are pretty much bound. One exit strategy would be to force a buyout (of the patent rights) which could be a nice sum, or sue them for patent infringement a la RIM. Both can be very successful strategies. Additionally, if it's a paid service, googles dominant position works against them. There are laws forbidding large companies from simply obliterating competition, especially companies with significant market share.

While google does have a strangle hold, it doesn't mean they're above the law. Startups have every right to try something new if someone else doesn't create it first. See facebook vs. my space.
Google most likely already holds a number of patents on ideas they haven't actually implemented yet as well.

leavead
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Holly ****

First time see so many stars!

I think patent or google none matter, a better way to surf is a better way. The technology is here. Why wait?

I am a poor guy that lives in a basement, luck to have CF top guys sharing the idea. If it worth a push, please give a hand.

Make a better engine is the goal, if we can't do it but know how, tell who able to do it. Think about how much time could be saved for the world.

Just my thoughts. Wish all a nice day!

leavead
12-08-2010, 01:17 AM

If google search is perfact, I won't thought the idea.

Google got on top by offering a simpler/better/faster way to search the web. Got fat by adwords/adsence. Google is great, so what. I kind don't like them, haha.

I got a pc, some smokes, city water and a dream, I am king of the net! :D

leavead
12-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Thoughts on hafind search engine.

Homepage is simpler, no web, video, email etc,. Replace I am feeling lucky and google search by streaming, fiping and text link three buttoms.

Result page, collect top 10 pages search result from g/y/b, delete double links, cache the 300 or less sites. Show sites when searched.

Users control streaming/fliping speed, able to rate any site. We use the data to further rank sites.

leavead
12-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Thought about income.

Replace indexed commerce site links by our affiliate links. We own the engine. Hire people to replace links for % maybe.

Plus set up something like adsense with open book bid price share, so webmasters will get $3 instead of 5c out a $5 click.

Your thoughts? Appreciate!

leavead
12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry been post too much. Every time got an exited idea, I can't even sleep.

More thoughts to remble.

Suppose every function needed is possible to code. What would be the best way to show search result to user?

If all engine was display/streaming sites, will today's engine involve to display site links?

If not so, what could it be? How people search in 2020?

If every indexed site is a picture, how to show 300 pics faster?

asianhackers.co
12-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Sure I can do this.

leavead
12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Sure I can do this.

Please tell me more. What can you do? Cost? Appreciate!

leavead
12-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Thank God for the idea, thank you guys for sharing it.

I only have $500 and a hosting at fatcow to offer, is anyone interested in partnership to push the idea? Is it possible more people join the challenge with me?

I am ok guy, be my friend. Read my poetry if you like love poems - iamwild.com

Wish all a warm night and sweet dreams!

Anton164
12-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Thank God for the idea, thank you guys for sharing it.

I only have $500 and a hosting at fatcow to offer, is anyone interested in partnership to push the idea? Is it possible more people join the challenge with me?

I am ok guy, be my friend. Read my poetry if you like love poems - iamwild.com

Wish all a warm night and sweet dreams!

I don't think I'll like love your poems if it has as many grammar mistakes as you make...
This is a very large project, you should do more research, have a lot more money and be more professional if you ever want to complete it

leavead
12-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't think I'll like love your poems if it has as many grammar mistakes as you make...
This is a very large project, you should do more research, have a lot more money and be more professional if you ever want to complete it

Thanks to grammar me in a national forum! :D

I am sure I cannot complete it without mighty help. But I be so glad to see it happen. Its a simple idea, if useful, may whoever succeed.

Think the result page only a small top frame is our space, with logo, few mark/buttom for functions needed. The rest of page is for showing result website look real.

A mark/buttom on top right corner, touch/click it, next site comes out. Users able to surf as fast as click. Each site auto scrool up to show its whole page unless you control it or click it away to see the next one.

Wish you nice one!

Anton164
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks to grammar me in a national forum! :D

I am sure I cannot complete it without mighty help. But I be so glad to see it happen. Its a simple idea, if useful, may whoever succeed.

Think the result page only a small top frame is our space, with logo, few mark/buttom for functions needed. The rest of page is for showing result website look real.

A mark/buttom on top right corner, touch/click it, next site comes out. Users able to surf as fast as click. Each site auto scrool up to show its whole page unless you control it or click it away to see the next one.

Wish you nice one!

It's a national forum, but the language you're speaking is still English. It looks quite unprofessional when you have a lot of grammar mistakes...

leavead
12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
It's a national forum, but the language you're speaking is still English. It looks quite unprofessional when you have a lot of grammar mistakes...

Haha, I's kiding.

In fact, I appreciate you say the truth, got good balls. :D

leavead
12-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Took my mom out for lunch, think about the web on the way.

Old search - you go google, look the links top down, pick/click a link, goto a site, don't like it, click back to google, look the links again, pick one to click, goto another site, don't like lt, click back to google, look the links again. Repeat this till find your need.

New search - you go hafind, look the top ranked site in the face, don't like it, click to next face, don't like it, click to next face, or use pullbar instantly goto the number 100 face.

Old way you drive in city blocks. New way you fly in air. It was good lunch!

Fumigator
12-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Google is doing this already!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210198/google_instant_previews_a_handson_tour.html

And Bing does too, kinda.

leavead
12-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Google is doing this already!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210198/google_instant_previews_a_handson_tour.html

And Bing does too, kinda.

Opinion Various.

My way you don't see text discriptions and links and ads block most of your window.

Plus a lot lot faster.

Bet?

leavead
12-10-2010, 01:26 AM
More thoughts on revenue.

We don't use ad space on homepage or any result pages. Two ideas to generate revenue. Plus to help clean the net.

1. Put a nevagation bar called courtesy ad on every page, if click it a whole page ads will come out.

2. Use a Java script called leavead, when uses leave any page, a dropdown window will show ads. It is not popup ads.

Both ways, we can put full page ads without use any web space, our ads publishers might get rid adsense and run our invisible ads. If they make more $ than before, their sites will be ad free. Soon we will have a cleaner world web.

Old dreams and new dream, dream on, dream on!

Fumigator
12-10-2010, 04:15 AM
It sounds like you just want a webpage full of ads? Who would use that? Not me. I use adblock so I guess if I went to your website I would see a big blank page?

Oh and you want to "bet" me that your idea of a website is faster than Google? LoL.... You don't even have a website and you're already running speed tests on it in your dope-laced brain. I've had enough of your nonsense. I bet you've never even created a website in your life! Quit wasting our time.

leavead
12-10-2010, 04:34 AM
I bet you one more thing.

If google asked you to help them start up 10 years ago, you will be still here.

By the way, my first site http://web.archive.org/web/20010509140825/www.ideaposter.com/sys-tmpl/ideaposter/

My newest site hahagle.com

If you bet me the worst skilled coder here, you win.

leavead
12-10-2010, 06:57 AM
I Need to write a summary for the idea in order to show possible investor. But my English and web skill both very poor. If you can help me for a little cash plus future share please pm me or reply here.

Thanks!

leavead
12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Some serious free pills here in deed!

Wonder if bing wants to do it, how soon we can surf the new way?

leavead
12-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Thoughts on future development.

Use the $ made to add human indexing to the engine, no machine is smart enough for this work yet. If we want better search result, human indexing is the must.

leavead
12-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for writing in such an encouraging post. I had a glimpse of it and couldn’t stop reading till I finished. I have already bookmarked you.

http://www.parislimousineorlando.com/

orlando limo

Copyright © 2008 Paris Limousine Orlando

Why not up dated?

leavead
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
There are many ways to use machine to weed out lousy sites.

For example, delete any out dated sites from result index.

g/y/b are not even doing that yet.

bcarl314
12-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I think this post has run it's course now. Closing.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum