View Full Version : Type of server language for an all Mac environment?

bradyj
06-03-2003, 12:00 AM
I'm reading up on my server languages here, and trying to catch up to the ball game -- but I cannot find much in the Mac realm.

We are thinking of using PHP MySQL for creating an internal database running off our all Mac environment -- and, since Mac OS X has built in PHP, we're thinking that's the way to go. However, I know little of the subject and I hope you guys know more:D

I've got a year to get cracking, so time is in abundance... but I am wondering what languages to learn (SSI wise) to get rolling, and what would be your suggestions for our Macs... aside from buy another system.:)

Thank you!!

Mods -- if I'm in the wrong place for this, move me as you wish

CFMX RULES
06-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Coldfusion MX will now run on a mac you can download an eval copy from macromedia, the eval will turn into a single user enterprise version after 30 days.

bradyj
06-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Really?!?! I was wondering if they were ever going to do that, I'll take a look. Thanks.

bradyj
06-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Do you have the web address? I did not see it in it's evaluation copies to download.

bradyj
06-04-2003, 01:40 AM
Ah, J2EE -- nevermind:)

bradyj
06-04-2003, 06:48 PM
Alright -- I read up on ColdFusion, and it's not exactly what I am looking for.

It seems that ColdFusion is more structured for things like: Newspapers online, Magazines -- places that need constant, live updating.

I'll be using my database for internal usage (much like FileMaker Pro, but with more advanced adjustability) so that we can have order forms, FAQ's for the sales guys; all that good stuff.

Which, again, seems as though PHP and MySQL seems to be the way to go... but I don't know that much about the database world. If anyone has an advice as to if this is a good thing or a bad, let me know. Pleeeeeeaaase:confused:

scroots
06-04-2003, 08:55 PM
if your like me and don't know much about databases you can dodge them like me and use flat files basically text files as an alternative.

scroots

bradyj
06-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but it needs to be interactive with the department here, and they want it 'database'... so I'm SOL until I find a solid language to learn. I think I'm just gonna go PHP MySQL -- no one seems to disagree.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum