View Full Version : linking Nav tab to Craigslist?

mikehende
11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I would like when the "Gear For Sale" tab in my Navigation bar is clicked that it will take me directly the Craigslist page where all ads are showing which include the word "funkadelic". What do I need to do please?

quartzy
11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
What you need to do is set an external hyperlink on your navigation list item. <a href="craiglist.co.uk>Craigslist</a>
Dont know what you mean when you say you want to link to the word funkadelic. Please say more.

Donkey
11-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Go to craigs list and navigate to the page of small ads that contain the word "funkadelic". Then copy the address in the url bar. Use that address in your navigation tab.

You should warn users that you are taking them off site, I usually use the title attribute to do this eg:
title="off site link to Craigs List, please come back soon"

SB65
11-18-2010, 03:56 PM
What you need to do is set an external hyperlink on your navigation list item. <a href="craiglist.co.uk>Craigslist</a>

Actually, that should be:

<a href="http://craiglist.co.uk>Craigslist</a>

quartzy
11-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Yes sorry, it is correct the way that SB65 says.

Donkey
11-18-2010, 04:27 PM
You both missed out the closing inverted commas...

Assuming you were using the london Craigs List (unfortunately the word "funkadelic" doesn't seem to be very popular there for some reason) your code would need to be as follows:

<a href="http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/?areaID=24&subAreaID=&query=funkadelic&catAbb=sss">Craigs List (Funkadelic)</a>

Although I would suggest:

<a href="http://london.craigslist.co.uk/search/?areaID=24&subAreaID=&query=funkadelic&catAbb=sss" title="off site link to Craigs List, please come back soon">Craigs List (Funkadelic)</a>

SB65
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
You both missed out the closing inverted commas...

We did indeed....:(

mikehende
11-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Ok but whenever new ads appear with the word "funkadelic" in it, will those new ads show when the Gear for Sale tab is clicked?

teedoff
11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Ok but whenever new ads appear with the word "funkadelic" in it, will those new ads show when the Gear for Sale tab is clicked?

Only if the page linked to is exactly the same page the ad appears on each time.

Inverted commas? lol I thought they were quotations. lol is that what you guys in England call them? just curious...lol

quartzy
11-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I just tried the link that was posted and there are no words for funkadelic. But if you were to add items with that word then they would probably show. We use quote marks in England

Donkey
11-18-2010, 05:08 PM

Yes because your link is searching the database.

Many years ago before computers us older folk were taught in school to use the words "inverted commas". The new fangled concept of "quotation marks" had not been invented then. I believe either will suffice, but when used in html they aren't really enclosing a quotation so I believe "inverted commas" is slightly more correct. However I stand ready to be corrected.

mikehende
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
It's not working on my end guys, when I click on the Gear For Sale tab, all I am seeing on the CL page is:

This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

here's my code, is there anything wrong with it please?

<a href="http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=3&amp;subAreaID=&amp;query=funkadelic&amp;catAbb=sss" title="off site link to Craigs List, please come back soon">Gear For Sale</a>

teedoff
11-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes because your link is searching the database.

Many years ago before computers us older folk were taught in school to use the words "inverted commas". The new fangled concept of "quotation marks" had not been invented then. I believe either will suffice, but when used in html they aren't really enclosing a quotation so I believe "inverted commas" is slightly more correct. However I stand ready to be corrected.

lol donkey thanks...now I will say I'm old school too, but I never remember the term inverted commas, but then again, I never paid attention in primary school anyway. lol

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum