View Full Version : Extracting text from a webpage

musicgold
11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I am using the following VBA code to extract text from a webpage (http://www.frendz4m.com/p/forum/showthreads.php?forumID=13&subforumID=0&ID=2066722)

I am interested in the text inside a node called SPAN. As there are some unwanted SPAN nodes, I am trying to differentiate them on the basis of their font type, but I am getting an error at hinput.font = ”verdana” (run time error 438).
What property can I use to differntiate the SPAN nodes?

VBA code

Set hdoc = IE.document

Set hColl = hdoc.getElementsByTagName("SPAN")

For Each hinput In hColl

If hinput.font = ”verdana” then

MsgBox hinput.innertext

Next

HTML source code

<span style='font:normal 12px verdana;color:#000000;'>Dad: Ess Baar exam me paas ho<br>ya fail BIKE zarur dilaunga.<br>Son: Kaunsi bike?<br>Dad: Pass he to “APACHE” college<br>jane ke liye.<br>Fail hue to “RAJDOOT” dood<br>bechne ke liye...</span>

Thanks,

MG.

Chris Hick
11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
use the

<span id=" ">

this will put each one as a specific span.

musicgold
11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Hey Chris,

Thanks. Where do I get the id? If you look at the source code of the webpage, there are no IDs for the SPANs.

Chris Hick
11-07-2010, 08:45 PM
So it is not your source code??

musicgold
11-07-2010, 08:56 PM
No. It is not my website. I am just trying to extract some text from the site.

http://www.frendz4m.com/p/forum/showthreads.php?forumID=13&subforumID=0&ID=2066722

Apostropartheid
11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Ripping content from that website may be against its terms of use. Please check back on us when you have checked that this is not the case.

musicgold
11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Ripping content from that website may be against its terms of use. Please check back on us when you have checked that this is not the case

Hmm. Well I am not ripping the website. I just need to copy certain jokes from the website. The website doesn't say that users shouldn't copy contents from its pages. I am able to copy jokes from the site even without being a member.
I thought a vba macro I could save me some time.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum