View Full Version : Regex Number followed by symbol issue

11-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Why is the 3rd term not -6_?

$lct = preg_match_all('/(\-)?(\d+)(\-|\+|\=|\>|\<|\_)/', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);
for ($x=0;$x<$lct;$x++){
echo "curvalue = " . $curvalue . "<br />";
which produces

curvalue = 2+
curvalue = -9-
curvalue = 6_

11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
$lct = preg_match_all('/(\-)?(\d+?)(\-|\+|\=|\>|\<|\_)/', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

$lct = preg_match_all('/(\-)?(\d+)(\-|\+|\=|\>|\<|\_)/u', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

$lct = preg_match_all('/^(\-)?(\d+)(\-|\+|\=|\>|\<|\_)/', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

should do as you expect.

11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
2 of them did the same as what I had, and the one with the line starter ^ showed nothing.

11-04-2010, 09:29 PM
What is it supposed to match? All or part of the string? If partial, which part? Btw, do a search on Google or such for 'PCRE cheat sheet'. It'll help with the specifics of regex.

11-04-2010, 09:55 PM
It is supposed to match any number, positive or negative, followed by an operator sign or an underscore.

The only trouble I have in unit testing is that a negative number followed by a negative number comes up as negative positive. Everything else works like a charm.

I'll check the cheatsheet out.

11-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Tried this instead, I removed the underscore from the end of $lefteq:
I'm looking for any number not followed by a letter. This gives the last negative number, but also gives the 1 in the number 10.

$lct = preg_match_all('/(\-?)(\d+)(?![a-z])/', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Fixed. I needed boundaries on the number. This solves my problem:

$lct = preg_match_all('/(\-?)\b(\d+)\b(?![a-z])/', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm looking for any number not followed by a letter.

I'm a bit rusty, but try this:

preg_match_all('/(\d+)(?![a-z])/', $lefteq, $match, PREG_PATTERN_ORDER);

Try looking in $match[1] instead of $match[0] too.

Edit: You shouldn't need to use the boundary marker.