View Full Version : IE compatibility issues. Perhaps Doctype?

Spykron
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I have a confusing issue and after looking into it, I think it might be doctype related but it still doesn't make sense.

I use Kompozer to build my site, and on firefox and chrome it all seems to work just fine. However, IE and safari have issues.

this page:
http://www.empire-earned.com/warning/1.html

it wont load the actual image in IE, just the top banners. also-

this page:
http://www.empire-earned.com/photo/nature/1.html

this one seems to work just fine, and as far as I can tell I did their layout the same way.

another question I have may be related. My fonts should all be either Stencil or Arial Black, but don't always show that way on other's browsers. How do I lock it in to always be those fonts?

Thanks a ton!

teedoff
11-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Have you validated your code here (http://validator.w3.org)?

Also, fonts are very tricky. If you use something other than web safe fonts, unless the user(pc the user is browsing on) has that font installed, then they cant view it.

Spykron
11-01-2010, 06:49 PM
ah crap, so that gives me a bunch of errors. the problem is, I don't know how to actually code, I was using the layout prog to generate the code.

*sigh*

Thank you for the tip though.

teedoff
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
ah crap, so that gives me a bunch of errors. the problem is, I don't know how to actually code, I was using the layout prog to generate the code.

*sigh*

Thank you for the tip though.

Copy and paste the code error and do a google. You can find some helpful info on how to fix most problems. Or you can post specific code validation errors here and we may can help.

Spykron
11-01-2010, 06:57 PM
ok so i plugged in a bunch of pro websites into that validator and they have a lot of errors also. so whats the deal? do i try to fix all of them or do they not really matter?

well obviously at least one of them matters.

teedoff
11-01-2010, 07:10 PM
ok so i plugged in a bunch of pro websites into that validator and they have a lot of errors also. so whats the deal? do i try to fix all of them or do they not really matter?

well obviously at least one of them matters.

By pro websites do you mean you tried validating websites you randomly picked? Sure not all websites validate, but many errors in coding can render different results in different browsers. For instance, if you dont specify a correct and complete doctype, IE might not display your page correctly. Other browsers might let you get by without the correct doctype.

If you are having issues with coding you have written, then the first thing to do is make sure you have good semantic code. To me thats the first step in debugging code errors.

Spykron
11-02-2010, 12:49 AM
yea basically.

http://www.codingforums.com/ has 30 errors...

anyway i still haven't figured it out so if anyone has more tips they would be appreciated.

bazz
11-02-2010, 02:57 AM
first thing is to forget about how 'big' sites have been built. In many cases they have been built using tables etc which sort of lock the deisgn into a shape which browsers will mostly all follow similarly.

If you were the change your doctype to html 4.01 transitional - 'transitional' being the key difference, it has no errors.

there is a sticky in the html forum with the doctypes listed.

bazz

Spykron
11-02-2010, 04:55 AM
thanks i plan to try that next. ive heard its a bad idea to not go with strict though, and would be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

bazz
11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
going with strict is ideal. but when I mentioned the transitional doctype, I was trying to convey that your markup isn't sooo bad. generally speaking, tweaking from something to make it strict is relatively straightforward if it was OK in transitional 'format'.

bazz

teedoff
11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
If you useing IE for your browser, and will be to open some site, you will be got some error if some site using animation theme. But if you build your site with Kompozer tools, I think you can reduce some error.

Huh? I understood the very little of that..lol

bazz
11-03-2010, 07:12 PM
better to build the site properly with valid code. forget software builders of any sort, imv. they are for amateurs.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum