View Full Version : Is it easy to convert to using a template?

EdNerd
11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I have finally built my site!
www.FamilyFunMagic.com
Not the greatest, but there it is!
Big thanks to all here who helped me!

Along the way, I copied the header and CSS and menu and bottom links codes into every page! As I'm doing this, I'm thinking: "There's _got_ to be a way to construct a template from all of this that I can simply insert <body> stuff! 'Cause if I have to change anything, I have to do it on every page!"

The CSS I know can go into an external file - I just didn't do it right then as I was banging out the pages. But what about the header graphic, the menu, the bottom links, and other stuff?

I'm sure there's a great tutorial out there.
Can I get a drop-kick in the right direction, please?
Ed

SB65
11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Easiest, if your server supports php, is to use php includes (http://www.tizag.com/phpT/include.php). Not quite a template, but same effect...

teedoff
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Server side includes ARE the way to go. If you are using Dreamweaver, it has a built in template feature as well. You can define a standard template and create "editable" regions to change content or whatever you want.

EdNerd
11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Well, I am using a bit of php on one page, so I think I can safely assume my host supports it.

I had looked at includes for something else - looks like I need to revist that.

Thanks to both of you!
Ed

teedoff
11-01-2010, 08:35 PM
php includes are very simple:

<?php include("yourFilename.extension"); ?>
remember though, you have to use .php as the file extension for your pages as well.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum