View Full Version : auto-generated files in windows directory

05-25-2003, 04:21 AM

I have an interesting phenomenon on my computer which I, or my friends, can't figure out.

Some basic system info: I have a Dell Inspiron 4100, (laptop), P3 1Ghz, 256 RAM 20 Gig Hard, Windows ME, (I know - don't use ME but it was the only option).

Something is generating files in the c:\windows directory, and I can't figure out what it is. I'm not sure that these files actually do anything, I doubt it since they're .tmp files if size 0 bytes.

That's it, there's nothing in them, but they keep showing up, and I keep deleting them. They have some sort of a generated filename for example, here's one:

There are currently about 480ish of these files on my computer, and from a quick check of a bunch of create dates it looks like I last deleted them around the beginning of April.

Does anyone know what generates these and how I can stop it? I figure that if I get enough of them it'll eventually mess up my system, and I don't want to have to keep deleting them manually.

05-25-2003, 06:48 AM
They are just temp files being generated by some program or another. They shouldn't really hurt anything by leaving them there.

If you don't delete them do more continually show up after a while?

05-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Yes, it appears that they are continually being made by something.

05-25-2003, 11:19 AM
press Ctrl + Alt +Delete and look what is running, if you find or think anything is iffy about what it is doing, google it and you will find out what the process belongs to and what it does.

If you find out what it is that is making it, if its malicious or annoying you may be able to stop it, but you will need to identify it first.