View Full Version : what can i do to improve my website?

09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I would love to her some honest feedback for my website,
www.lisbonweekendguild.com (silly name which i choose when i was a little drunk..ha ha ha...)

It started as a hobby site and now I trying to make it the top resource for travellers to Lisbon, I also appreciate any new or good ideas. My average visitor per day is low at 20 but the average time on the site in my opinion is very high at 2:42 minutes.
It also frustrates me that the top websites in googles search for “Lisbon” are so dated or poor why doesn’t Google ever perform a sanity check for what it is promoting as the “top resource”….. anyway enough of my rant…
Thanks for reading and inspecting my website

09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
But seriously, why is it so big? My monitor can't fit it!
A good rule of thumb is to keep it within 1000 pixels width. Most monitors can accomodate that. Also remember that not everybody likes to browse full-screen.
It would be a pretty nice website if you stopped your headings being so pixelated and rework that header into something nicer. Removing that massive gap at the bottom would also be nice. "Click here" should *never* be link text; it's just bad style.
And I LOVE Smudge.

09-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Not many people are big fans of text shadowing either. In my opinion, the colors for the site are a bit bright and "cartoonish" for lack of better words. And as Apostropartheid said, the width is really too big. I usually never go beyong about 960px width for any site.

09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
And I LOVE Smudge.

lol. I thought you referring to an alternative method of making the title graphics, which, because I have had a few drinks, they played havoc with my eyes.

my suggestions would be:

shrink the titles,
narrow the width so there are no horizontal scrollbars (I don't go above 990px usually),
instead of using the background colour behind the main text portions, make it white and use 'border' for the text divs.
make sure when using an iframe that it can be imported displayed in your site.

and I too like smudge, the kitten :)

09-26-2010, 03:13 AM
That color #9999ff is not good.