09-04-2010, 06:21 AM
So... I am taking over a project for a friend. Developers in Afpakistan or wherever... there is a CSS file but all the big stuff is hard-coded into every individual file. So... that's going to be hours of work by itself.
It's pro-bono... I really dig the philosophy of the site. Anyway, here it is
I'm aware of A LOT of the problems. But it will help to get feedback from other developers as the site owner has gotten used to the way things are now. But honestly... nearly everything design-wise needs to be redone. All the pages are table layouts and the colors/layout/backgrounds/borders/etc. They are all **** in my opinion.
Anyway. What are some specific thoughts about the sites and suggestion on how to improve it?
Not sure if you're asking for comments on the build or the design. I do love nested tables for layout...:eek:
Anyway, assumung you're asking about the design, then at first glance I thought it looked OK, but then -here's an attempt at recording my thoughts on first seeing the site
- layout's a bit confused - three separate menus at the top
- I'm still not sure I know exactly what the sites about - maybe this should be clearer in the first panel
- as I go down the page the layout gets a bit disjointed with "last weeks most liked article" seemingly detached from the panel above it, similarly with "last weeks most liked poetry". Then there's a huge white space before the footer "featured whatever". Thought the page had ended but it hadn't.
- my mind's then trying to work out why some of the featured things are down the right and some on the bottom - does that mean they're different in some way (I don't think they are...)
-but then some of the featured boxes are styled differently, with and without a header bar - does this mean something (I don't think so...)
- and now I've noticed there are two featured musician boxes with different content
- and so I'm confused
There's an awful lot going on on that page and the current layout doesn't help the user to understand it. I'd suggest dividing the page up into clear areas dealing with "what the site is about", "featured contributions", "vote for your favourite" etc. In order to reduce some of the size, maybe move some content off altogether or have some form of expand/collapse.
Consistency of fonts and headings would help a lot here I think.
Hope that's the sort of thing you're after.
09-07-2010, 03:30 AM
A site devoted to artsy fartsy stuff needs to present an artsy fartsy design, which this current design fails to do in many ways. IMO you are going to need a full redesign from the top down, scrapping _everything_ the website currently is.
09-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys. That's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. It's really ashame because the previous developers put a lot of work into the site but it just seems like design wasn't their strong suite.
And yeah, nested tables FTL :(