View Full Version : Problem with table display in Internet Explorer 8

Crescent City
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm working on a web page and I'm having trouble with table height. I just updated to IE8, and noticed that my tables seem to have a minimum height of 60 pixels. I have a horizontal menu bar with table properties defined in css. I had it at 50 pixels high, I even experimented with smaller heights with no trouble controlling the height in IE7. I first thought it had something to do with the css, but then I noticed that another table, this one just straight html with no frills, also increased to 60px high when I updated to IE8.

I found that I could increase the height as much as I want, but can't reduce it below 60px. I'm not sure how to fix this other than settling for 60px high tables, or passing out leaflets convincing people not to update to IE8.

I would include code, but it's basic: table, tr, td, etc. I am using php with an Apache server. I can't imagine that I would have to alter my configurations just to have a plain html table at less than 60px. Any suggestions?

09-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Any suggestions? Yes, the use of tables for making layout is very bad (http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/)!

Can we have a link to your page?

09-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Do the cells have anything in them? If there is text in there, or even   then it will not allow you to make it smaller than the text.

Also, try ensuring the cell-padding is set to 0.

Hope this helps:)

Crescent City
09-04-2010, 03:07 PM
In my tables, even in the ones with just text, I was using css classes to format the type. When I removed the classes, the cell heights returned to normal. I'll experiment some more, I may even discard the tables and use css. I'm new at this and I actually learned css layout before html tables and found css easier to control. I got conflicting advice about which is best, but I think I'll go with my first instinct and 86 the tables.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I can see that coding for IE8 will be more of a process than a quick fix.

My site is for a personal business that is in development, so no link yet. And yes, the cell-padding was at 0, it was just the link to my css that seems to be the culprit in changing the cell heights.