View Full Version : in search of better slideshow, or tutorial

turpentyne
08-27-2010, 02:14 AM
A while back I downloaded a prepackaged script for a slideshow. Now that I've learned a bit more about javascript, maybe somebody can direct me to a better free alternative that I can work on that is similar. This one has a link on the bottom to its creator, and seems to load quite slow.

Here's a page with the script: http://www.mergecreate.com/paintings.html

vwphillips
08-27-2010, 03:40 PM
you have not chosen the easiest example to learn from

however I have written a script with similar attibutes using standard JavaScript

see the attachment

turpentyne
08-29-2010, 12:47 AM
cool! thanks! Seems to run quicker too. Still looks a little complicated for my level. haha!

Quick question? Will this work if I put more than one slider on a page? If so, can you direct me to the right spot to edit for that? I've already created a unique div tag and applied a css style to it. The first instance works, but the new one doesn't. ( I had a hunch that'd happen anyway)

vwphillips
08-29-2010, 09:55 AM
see attachment

turpentyne
09-02-2010, 06:50 AM
hmmm. I have no idea where I went wrong. I've worked three slideshows tied to Vic's above script into my project. I think the only thing I added in relation to the slideshow was to put them into <div> tags that are visible only when clicking on the relevant link (Otherwise they appeared while the page was loading) Somewhere along the way of working on this page, the thumbnail scrolling stopped working.

here's how everything looks. There's a bunch of other scripting on there to slide the page. I don't think it's causing any trouble. I've gone line by line to see if I can find an error or tweak something to fix it.

the source code can be seen here: http://www.mergecreate.com The three slideshows can be reached by clicking on design, paintings or illustration (it's all one file)

codebyter
09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
For whats its worth,

http://codebyter.com/post.php?code&id=11

I am already working on a newer version so stay tuned :)

vwphillips
09-02-2010, 05:31 PM
<div id="slide3" style="display:none;">

the display:none; can only be set after the script has been initialised

<script type="text/javascript">
/*<![CDATA[*/

new zxcMousePan({
MainID:'main3',
MainClassName:'main',
SlideID:'slide3',
FrameClassName:'thumb',
FrameActiveClassName:'thumbactive',
Mode:'Vertical',
Duration:2000,
Hold:2000,
Opacity:50
});

document.getElementById('slide3').style.display='none';
/*]]>*/
</script>

also the images will need to be preloaded

turpentyne
09-02-2010, 09:35 PM
hmmm.. dang. This is going to take some figuring out. Now I'm back to the slideshows appearing before the page is done loading. I've put in some preloading of images too.

vwphillips
09-03-2010, 11:09 AM
you cound use 'visibility' inplace of 'display'

turpentyne
09-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Cool! I had looked into that, but I was misunderstanding how visibility worked for some reason. Everything works. Now on to loading issues. thanks!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum