View Full Version : Font help??

DJCMBear
08-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Hello, I am trying to find a font that is similar to "Lucida Handwriting" as one of my clients wants "Lucida Handwriting" as their sites font but as I know this font doesn't work as a cross platform font, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a font which is close to "Lucida Handwriting" but is also cross platform.

VIPStephan
08-24-2010, 12:51 AM
I don’t know of any cross-platform script/handwriting font. Here is a list of websafe fonts (http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html) that are somewhat cross-platform. However, nowadays most if not all recent major browsers support CSS font embedding and there are font distributors such as Fontspring or Typotheque that offer commercial licenses for web embedding. Fontsquirrel (http://www.fontsquirrel.com/) has an extensive list of free (supposedly) legal web fonts. You may find something that suits your needs on these sites.

DJCMBear
08-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the reply and links, I'll take a look at the sites you suggested and if I need more information I will be back for more help, thank you.

EDIT:
One other thing if i upload a TTF font file to my server is there a way to use that font file so I can use the font on any platform such as Mac, Linux and Windows or does the font have to be installed onto the computer itself?

boogily
08-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Otherwise, a pain in the butt but workable way to display any font you want would be either sIFR or CUFON. I have used sIFR myself. Hopefully we can use @font-face soon...

We can now but not on all browsers from what I understand

DJCMBear
08-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Otherwise, a pain in the butt but workable way to display any font you want would be either sIFR or CUFON. I have used sIFR myself. Hopefully we can use @font-face soon...

We can now but not on all browsers from what I understand

I got the idea of storing a font on the site from looking up @font-face but like you said not all browsers support it lol.

I will look into the two other ways in a bit and see if I can make it work for my client.

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
I second Cufon. Its simple and easy to use. You may also want to look into google web fonts. They don't have much but its a start. Its as simple as embedding a stylesheet into your page.

http://code.google.com/webfonts

VIPStephan
08-24-2010, 03:02 PM
I’d vote for @font-face. All modern major browsers support it (Opera since version 10, Safari since version 3.1, Internet Explorer even since version 4 (that was in September 1997!), Firefox since version 3.5, Google Chrome since version 4) and for the others an appropriate fallback font will be a sufficient alternative. I mean it’s not like the site would be unusable with an alternative fallback font like Arial or Times.

teedoff
08-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Another way, is you're good at illustrator or fireworks, is to desing your own font and make them images instead of text. Of course if your page has lots of text on it, not so good. For headings it works fine though.

boogily
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
That sounds like a lot of work and would have zero SEO value. @fontface or sIFR or Cufon is the way to go me matey!

DJCMBear
08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all the posts I now have three different ways to do this now thanks to everyone, and for the image idea its good but as you said if theres loads of text it wont work and as my client will be adding new items to the site with a description that can have alot or text in it I dont think it will be a good idea for me but thanks for the suggestion, also it would take ages for the text to download on a crap dial-up connection.

teedoff
08-25-2010, 07:54 PM
People still have dial up connections?? lol :p

DJCMBear
08-25-2010, 08:07 PM
lol probz not but it's best to include it just in case someone does lol plus UK Sky Broadband goes through the phone line so in theory isn't that still some sort of dial-up connection even if its faster lol.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum