View Full Version : CSS - changing text on change

targetpractice
07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Ok, I have a table with three columns.

The first column has a list of links in it, and the second and third columns are blank.

I want to click on a link in the first column, and have text/links appear in the second column.

Then likewise, click on links in the second column and have text appear in the third column.

I know you can do this using other methods like Javascript, but can't you do it with CSS (layering, or something)? If so, how?

Thank you

Rowsdower!
07-29-2010, 05:39 PM
With just the right nesting you could probably cobble together something with the :focus pseudo-class but it would be a real trainwreck of code and the HTML it would need might not validate.

Like you said, this is best left to javascript. CSS is intended for style control rather than content control.

Bar2aYunie
07-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Or you can use frames to get and place info in other frames.

targetpractice
08-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Thank you.

I messed around with nesting and you are correct - it is a train wreck. I got half of it to work, but then got stuck.

Oh well.

I was thinking that I could make multiple text boxes, position them on top of each other, and bring one to the front with a link. With the amount of information I am thinking of placing in the tables, I suppose that would be a logistics nightmare, if it would even work.

I think I'll go with the JavaScript.

Thanks again

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum