View Full Version : copyright

DieAntwoord`
07-29-2010, 04:37 PM
I often see copyrighted javascripts. Like below. Why can't i delete the copyrights, because if i delete it, the script wont work.
(Iam not trying to steal the script but i want to use it with a other script.

/*
*.......................- By JavaScript Kit (http://www.javascriptkit.com)
* Based on code by Adam Brown
* This notice MUST stay intact for use
* Visit JavaScript Kit (http://www.javascriptkit.com) for this script and more
*/

RandomUser531
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I often see copyrighted javascripts. Like below. Why can't i delete the copyrights, because if i delete it, the script wont work.
(Iam not trying to steal the script but i want to use it with a other script.That is a script comment and provided that it is not nested within another comment block, its addition or removal should have no effect.

Philip M
07-29-2010, 08:24 PM
(Iam not trying to steal the script but i want to use it with a other script.

So why do you want to remove the copyright notice then? :(

Old Pedant
07-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Besides, legally you can't remove it. In theory, if you use the script and remove that notice, the owner of the script could sue you. (In practice, that won't happen unless you make a few million dollars by using the script. But still... Why violate the law for no gain?)

DieAntwoord`
07-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I think my lack of perfect English got you misunderstood.

I want to copyright a script, but first i want to know how to copyright it.

So I took for example the copyright notice of Adam Brown. In the copyright notice it says that its not possible to remove the notice, because then it wonīt work.
Now my question was, how can it not work? And how do I put a copyright in my script.

Old Pedant
07-30-2010, 01:32 AM
LOL! Our mistake! Sorry!

But you are misreading the English there.

* This notice MUST stay intact for use

That means "for LEGAL use". Not that it won't work without it.

He is granting you a free license to use the code so long as you leave the notice there, that's all.

But he has no real way of enforcing that. He's just counting on your honesty.

So sorry for misunderstanding you.

DieAntwoord`
07-30-2010, 01:41 AM
LOL! Our mistake! Sorry!

But you are misreading the English there.

That means "for LEGAL use". Not that it won't work without it.

He is granting you a free license to use the code so long as you leave the notice there, that's all.

But he has no real way of enforcing that. He's just counting on your honesty.

So sorry for misunderstanding you.

Ah ok, Thx.

You donīt have to apologies. I have typed my first message unpunctual and I had to give more time to write my message, because of mine bad english. (I'am from Europe)

Old Pedant
07-30-2010, 02:29 AM
From the Netherlands, I would guess?

And your English is a lot better than my Dutch!! (Or whatever is your native language. I do okay with Russian and can ask for food in Japanese, but that's about it.)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum