View Full Version : HTML5 - Advantages & Disadvantages?

stfc_boy
07-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Hello People,

I'm thinking of redesigning my site using html5, but wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of it.

From what I can make out your pages will render fine with no issues in Firefox, but in IE you can apply a fix with a simple javascript include and i've read a lot of positive things with it with regards to semantics and SEO.

However i've also seen postings which say go nowhere near it until it's evolved more.

So can I ask peoples opinions on the following:

1) Why you would/would not use it?
2) When it will be fully supported?
3) Will the Javascript fix work with IE 7 & IE6 and other browsers such as google chrome, safari etc...
4) Any major problems?
5) Any links that would help me make my decision

Many Thanks

Chris

effpeetee
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Hello People,

I'm thinking of redesigning my site using html5, but wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages of it.

From what I can make out your pages will render fine with no issues in Firefox, but in IE you can apply a fix with a simple javascript include and i've read a lot of positive things with it with regards to semantics and SEO.

However i've also seen postings which say go nowhere near it until it's evolved more.

So can I ask peoples opinions on the following:

1) Why you would/would not use it?
2) When it will be fully supported?
3) Will the Javascript fix work with IE 7 & IE6 and other browsers such as google chrome, safari etc...
4) Any major problems?
5) Any links that would help me make my decision

Many Thanks

Chris
The sites in my signature are using the new html/css.
My website and Sources.

They both degrade well with IE8 and work well with Firefox, Chrome etc.

Do have a go. It is getting ready for the future and as I said they don't look too bad on the IE types.

Frank

Major Payne
07-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Waste of time if you have coded many pages to XHTML Strict document type, but it would be worth updating the CSS 2.1 to CSS 3.0 to take advantage of the new CSS properties. Small sites would benefit coding both HTML/CSS to latest standards.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum